Which vites to take first?

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 3:44 am
I'm 6 days out and read to start easing into my vitamins.  Which should I start with first?  I had a B12 shot and an iron infusion in the hospital.  On my baselines, I was low in D3, B1, and B6 I think?  Also the iron.  Thanks!  Oh yeah, and my surgeon has me on solids, and my pain pills are pills, so I don't think pills this early should be a problem?
callmeEJ
on 12/5/11 4:45 am - Minneapolis, MN
The answer basically boils down to "whatever you can comfortably get down". You just had the switch portion done, right? You can probably get more down than I did when I was where you're at now, because I had both sleeve and switch done at the same time and swallowing ANYTHING was a chore. Maybe start with iron, b-vites, and A, D, E, and K, and see how you feel from there? Also, things that are in capsule form seem to go down a LOT easier than things that are uncoated. YMMV, of course. If something makes you feel a little ill after taking it, wait a few days and try again. Your body also has some vitamin stores to keep you for the first month or so to get you through without getting too malnourished.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 5:26 am - Woodbridge, VA

I started everything as soon as I got home from the hospital. I used a liquid sublingual B complex, so that covered my B12, B1, and B6. The D3 pills are so tiny I wouldn't be concerned about those at all. Multis went down fine (I use capsules). The calcium might have taken a while to work up to the full amount since the one I take is 4 capsules per serving (3 servings per day).

If I had to pick and choose, I would start with the multi. I mean, you're eating so little, I would think getting that sort of little-bit-of-everything would be a good place to start.

elixir
on 12/5/11 6:26 am - MI
I took a chewable multi-ADEK and a chewable iron+c for the first six weeks after surgery. After that I started Vitalady's regimen.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 7:54 am, edited 12/29/11 6:49 am - Burlington County, NJ