food ideas and recipes

honeybadger 11
on 12/5/11 2:00 am - FL

At my 3 weeks check in many people liked the foods i was putting together. So i figured i would put out a little list to help those who are transitioning from puree into soft foods.

My #1 tip is put plain greek yogurt on everything you would sour cream. It has more protein than sour cream and tastes just like it.

#2 dont force any foods you are not ready for. If you are only able to get in a few bites of creamed soup then maybe you arent ready for soft foods yet. I progressed my diet using my Dr guideline and how i was feeling about foods.

#3 anything can be made in to a soup consistency with a blender and chicken broth:)

Foods i ate during the liquid stage (My Dr instructions were pourable):

Egg Salad: Boiled egg, chicken broth, about a tbsp of mayo and a squirt of mustard. Puree in the blend until soup consistency.

Refried Bean Soup: Refried beans, chicken broth and a dollop of greek yogurt. Mix until soup or use blender if you need it super thin. Add cheese when you are able to.

Protein pudding: I had to use lactaid. Make per instructions then slowly add in a scoop or two of protein powder. I used unflavored soy powder but im sure any would do. After it sets put more milk/lactaid in it to get the soup consistency.

No sugar added applesauce: I just added a little water to the applesauce to thin it out. Stage 1 baby foods are also good. Look for organic, they dont have additives.

Chicken and potatoes: I pureed chicken with broth and made the potatoes liquidy then i would add a dollop of ranch dressing on top and heat in the microwave.

SOFT FOODS:

Western omelet done the DS way: 1 egg, 1 tbsp of diced ham, 2 cubes of cheddar cheese cut into 4's (or a sprinkle of shredded cheese), a splash of 1/2 and 1/2. Melt 1/4 tbsp of butter in a hot pan, Pour egg mix into pan. Do not over cook. Top with greek yogurt or ketchup. You can add green peppers and onions when your diet progresses

Deli Meat and cheese roll ups: These you can get very creative with. I take 1 slice of herbed chicken then 1 slice of havarti with dill then i put a smathering of cream cheese and chives and sliced avocado. Roll up and slice into small slices.
     Roast beef roll up: roast beef and provolone or mozzarella or havarti with dill with a smathering of hummus. Rolled up and sliced small.
Deli meats were very easy on my tummy and easy to make.

Jen's California roll: Thinly sliced and ready to eat smoked salmon (i found mine in the freezer by the seafood section) 1 pc of salmon, spread with either plain cream cheese or flavored like cream cheese and chives top with avocado slices and another pc of Salmon. Cut into thin pcs. Could add cucumber when diet advances.

Greek Yogurt Spinach Dip:

1 envelope of vegetable soup mix
8oz plain greek yogurt
1 cup Mayo
1 pkg (10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
Can add water chestnuts when diet allows

Mix all ingredients together and let chill for 2hr.

I use spinach dip to mix in with tuna and chicken (instead of mayo) or in the deli rollups.

RECIPES THAT ARENT MINE:

I found this awesome meatball recipe. I paired it with Shelly's Ricotta Bake:

Meatballs from sparklepeople.com

1lb ground beef
1lb ground pork
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 eggs
3 cloves garlic (i used 3 tsp of minced garlic in a jar)
olive oil

Heat oven to 375. In skillet over high heat cook onions til soft then add garlic. Transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.

Roll into golf sized balls. Arrange on a jelly pan (i put foil down and  sprayed with pam for quick clean up) Cook 20-25 mins til brown and cooked through.

Shelly's Ricotta Bake is on theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com  
Shelly's Baked Ricotta

8 oz of Ricotta Cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 large Egg, beaten
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan, beaten egg, seasonings together and place in a oven proof dish. Pour marinara on top and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake it in the oven @ 450 for about 20-25 minutes (best) or nuke it till hot and bubbly. I usually made it first in the oven and heated the leftovers in the microwave.

Eggface also had several other great recipes. Her BITES are especially good. Dip them in greek yogurt to make them even better;)

This is just a list of what ive been eating to give ideas to anyone that needs them, I dont know your rules so again please dont try anything until you are ok'ed by your doctor.

Quick snacks of babybel cheese and other cheese cut small bites are delicious. Dont forget your protein shake! Very important:) Well behind sipping water like crazy!!!

Anyone else have any recipes or food ideas they would like to add?

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

fullhousemom
on 12/5/11 11:35 am
I love this post!  I am so desperate for some creativity. What brand of greek yogurt do you like?  I recall there was one brand that didnt sit well. 
honeybadger 11
on 12/5/11 1:15 pm - FL
Ive been very lactose intolerant since sugery and i find Chobani is the only brand so far that i do ok with. Okios made me nauseous. They dont carry Fage at the store i shop at so im not able to see how i do with that one.

Im glad this post was good for you. Ive seen so many people asking for ideas and i usually go blank trying to think of what i eat and was eating:)

I had a little snack of 2 pork rinds dipped in the greek yogut spinach dip. Oh my it is the best thing ive had in weeks!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

2011Mommy
on 12/5/11 12:32 pm
 Excellent ideas! Bookmarked :)