Hunger early, how do you make soups that keep you full for more than 2 minutes?

Elizabeth N.
on 12/4/11 11:46 pm, edited 12/29/11 6:58 am - Burlington County, NJ

beth-28
on 12/5/11 12:10 am
Thanks Elizabeth, for putting it into perspective. I like the grazing part, I'm just frustrated with limited choices and the fact that I'm dying to chew on something!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

honeybadger 11
on 12/5/11 12:26 am - FL
I think we all know that feeling well! I was a little passed 2 weeks before i ventured into more solid foods (still soft tho) and i remember biting into something and saying to hubs, look im CHEWING something!!! Its like driving the car again after a long hiatus:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

dustydeer
on 12/5/11 9:23 am
I'm with Elizabeth...welcome to grazing. Sip and sip :)

That horrible hunger will get better, just a moment in time, hang in there!

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

honeybadger 11
on 12/5/11 1:00 am - FL
Would you be allowed to have stage 1 baby food? Stage 1 is thin and liquidy.  Gerbers organic line has no additives and i used pears, bananas, sweet potato, squash. I didnt really care for them to much but for some variety it was nice.

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Valerie G.
on 12/5/11 2:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Soups count as fluids, so if you like them, keep sipping soup.  Of course it goes through faster, just like soup and chinese food before surgery.  A thicker soup, like beer-cheese, might sit harder if you really want it to.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 5:21 am - Woodbridge, VA
Honestly, I never really bothered with soups. I would sip on chicken broth when I wanted something warm to drink, but I considered it just that, a drink, not really food. From what you listed, it doesn't sound like you're getting much, if any, protein from your soups, so no wonder you're hungry!

Early out, I pretty much just lived on protein shakes, chicken broth, and sugar free popsicles until I could step it up to Greek yogurt, refried beans, and super finely mashed up egg salad. If you want thicker protein shakes, try adding some heavy cream to them (assuming you have flavors good with milk and not jus****er).
Poodles
on 12/5/11 12:01 pm - TX
My favorite early out was New England Clam Chowder blended up with milk added.  Tastes like fishy mashed potatoes. :)  Wendy's Chili blended up was good too.  

You really need to get protein in.  You may think about reducing the liquid and adding another scoop of powder to thicken the drink to the consistency you like.  You could add just enough cream to make a pudding like concoction too.

I was on liquids for a long time with the band and it sucks.  (literally)  Just keep sipping away the day.  Watch the carbs, up the protein.  If you like beans, buy a can and blend away.  You may get some gas, but the protein will be worth it.   You could also puree chicken or add baby food proteins into your soups to sneak in more protein.  Or, heck, you could buy the unflavored protein and add it to everything.  But if you don't get the protein in, you will always be hungry.  Carbs will make you hungry after it is all said and done.
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

butercup
on 12/5/11 2:47 pm - Kennewick, WA
Melt some cheese into the soups or sour cream. The fat might help you feel full longer. Also, if you're hungry just keep putting food into it.

This is the hardest part. It only gets easier.
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 4:51 pm
When I was starving after my sleeve, my surgeon had cream of wheat on the full liquids menu.  I think your surgeon is a bit strict, even in the hospital, oatmeal and cream of wheat were on the full liquids.  It's more about not damaging your new stomach line, not starving yourself.  Get that protein in woman!

Has it gotten any better since you wrote this?  Hope you're feeling well!