Hunger early, how do you make soups that keep you full for more than 2 minutes?

beth-28
on 12/4/11 2:24 pm
I'm a week out of surgery and am getting frustrated. I am still on full liquids until the 13th, but no matter what type of soup I eat I am starving a few minutes later.  I'm not eating for enjoyment (but thanks to Elizabeth N. for keeping us all on the straight and narrow). I'm just eating to keep the gnawing, stomach imploding in on itself, hunger pains away.

I seem to be having not much problem getting my water in (however I'm not anywhere near 64 oz). I have been eating broth, egg drop soup,  potato soup, tomato soup (cream of), with no problem, except I don't feel full for long.

I asked if I could have grits but he said no, so I need ya'll to kick me in the rump because those mashed potatos, and baybel cheese in the fridge are screaming my name!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Kayla B.
on 12/4/11 2:30 pm - Austin, TX
Did you already try protein shakes? If your surgeon doesn't even allow that, pardon me but he's out of his mind. Even minor protein deficiency prolongs healing.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
beth-28
on 12/4/11 2:44 pm
He does, and I do but they are still thin like broth and seem to pass right through me like the soups.

Kingy
on 12/4/11 3:53 pm, edited 12/4/11 3:54 pm - Hobart, Australia
Hey Beth,

I say we swap protein drinks, mine are so thick I can barely gag them down and they certainly put you right off the idea of food.  In fact I'm thinking of using them to create a solid underlay for my new chicken coop, cheaper than concrete.  What protein shakes are you taking by the way?  I might try and get some.  

As for a solution, have you had any luck with lactose free milk?  I always find that a glass of milk tends to settle the hunger rumbles but not sure if this works with anyone else.

If that babybel keeps calling your name, I have one word for you..... fondue *evil cackle*

newyorkbitch
on 12/4/11 8:59 pm
 Try lactaid milk and add a scoop of protein powder to it.
honeybadger 11
on 12/4/11 8:39 pm - FL
I feel ya sister! Ive been hungry (esp in the am or if i havent eaten in 2-3hrs!) everyday since about 4 days post op. Thank goodness foods have not been an issue for me. I followed my dr progression diet the best i could.

Are you allowed to have thinned down refried beans? I thinned mine down with chicken broth and put a dollop of greek yougurt on top. Makes a pretty delicious soup. I, also, putted boiled eggs is the food processor with chicken broth, mayo and a bit of mustard and pureed that Sounds gross but when you are eating almost nothing its was the best tasting stuff i had ever eaten:)

I did sugar free pudding made with lactaid and soy protein. Mix in the protein slowly. After it sets and before you eat it add in more lactaid to thin it. I tried to find a way to add protein to every meal (and maybe a little fat:) that for me is the only way to not feel so hungry all the time.

And i added water to no sugar added applesauce. Strange thing is applesauce settles my belly so that has been my go to food when im not feeling so good.

I also drank G2 early out. 1 12oz bottle does have 7g sugar and 7 carbs but i needes something and it help make me not feel so woosey and i figured of if the was the only sugar and carbs i was getting, it was not to bad:)

Good luck! Whats your next food stage and when are you you on it???

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

beth-28
on 12/5/11 12:06 am
honeybadger,

Can you puree the beans? I'm only supposed to have soups with milk-like consistancy.

honeybadger 11
on 12/5/11 12:21 am - FL
Geez your doc is a tough one! I thought mind was bad but i could have anything that could be stucked through a straw...no straw allowed though:)

Heck Yeah puree those beans, i would put the beans, chicken broth and if you like the plain greek yogurt (taste just like sour cream and adds some protein) into the blended and blend until creamy soup:) If you dont like the greek yogurt i would do a little melted butter to help the flavor.

Boy, i would have DIED if that was all i could have...im allergic to cream soups because of the lactose in them, makes me crazy nauseous!

Probably cant have the egg salad puree or applesauce til later but the pudding totally comes out milky after you add the more lactaid/milk after it sets. Just blend it slowly so you dont end up with lumps:) Or throw it in the blender and puree it if there is lumps.

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

buffalobillsfan
on 12/4/11 11:33 pm, edited 12/4/11 11:34 pm - CA
Make one can of soup with some substance and puree it. Then add a 2nd can of broth to thin it out. I was so hungry post surgery it almost felt painful but I had no appetite for anything in partiular. My surgeon allowed solid foods as tolerated even in the hospital so I had more choices than most. I think I ate low carb Dannon yogurt just to get rid of the hunger feeling.

newyorkbitch
on 12/4/11 11:45 pm
 I started eating soft foods in the hospital, 24 hours after surgery.