Who else feels like they eat like a horse!?

1Blessed4life
on 12/7/11 2:58 am
Love you my birthday sister!!
Yehuda G.
on 12/4/11 1:52 am
Ultimately this a regain and malnutrition menu. Please substitute some of those chocolates for beef jerkey and pork cracklins or whatever other low carb goods you may like. And please get a good protein shake in. You do not want to deal with low protein. It will affect all of your labs.

If you don't know of good protein powders, my favorite is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Natural Whey. I love the chocolate flavor. It has 4 net carbs/serving. I do a double scoop and mix it with heavy cream. Yum!

1Blessed4life
on 12/7/11 4:36 am

Thank you for your post, I do know that protein is Super important to us DSers. No, I don't think I got 100g of protein that day! lol It was an indulgent day outing with my hubby.
Some of this is reposted to answer similar questions.. for more of the normal foods I try to eat; I love refried beans, all nuts; cashews, sunflower seeds, pecans, peanuts, almonds, pistachios, meaty chili, avocado, hummus, all cheeses, sandwich/lunch meats, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, apricots, cranberries, baby spinach, pineapple, strawberries, blackberries (smoothies), oranges & tangerines, asparagus, celery, garlic, onion, cucumbers... split pea & ham soup, love seafood salad! and egg, or chicken salads, and add more bacon, I eat many of these throughout the week... I was put on Creon by my doc because I was losing 16 lbs per month getting close to goal weight & had to slow down my weight loss, I finally managed to add some extra meals & get off the creon, but until then I was focused on my goal weight.

I started out at 258lbs, and I really stayed strict until I lost 100 lbs & then still didn't stray much until my goal weight, (stayed away from white flour & white sugar carbs, ect) And I was at the gym 4 days per week. So I recommend for new DSers, staying focused on using the 1st year as a window of opportunity to get your health back & get close to goal weight then you have the rest of your life to enjoy & get into a maintain routine. I check the scales daily to see what 'options' I have for that day & if I am 135 - 138 I stray away from carbs more, (and may work out more at the gym or stairs, ect.) & if I am at my regular 133 or less, I can taste more yummies that day! lol

I will be 2 yrs post DS on Jan 22nd, and I Know exercise was & is really important for me to stay healthy. I just did the 5K turkey trot before Thanksgiving & was able to run the WHOLE thing!  I also came in 20th for my age group 40-49 & finished in 37.43! (for me that's really good & I'm 44 yrs old! lol)

Protein should be 1st choice, & water/liquids. I know some meats are harder for a new DS tummy to digest - you can just 'try' things & then go back and try/reintroduce them again later.
Thanks!
love my DS family

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 2:24 am
where's the water intake and why so much carby junk food? I know we can go through that stage during maintenance but if you eat like this every day you're settting yourself up for some problems down the road. Get back to basics and lay off the processed food, get more water in and remember the dark drinks-like root beer, coke, pepsi, etc. can contribute to kidney stones (just had my first yay) Remember too it's not the quantity of food you can ingest it's the quality that matters the most. There's no way you got in your protein based on what you ate.
1Blessed4life
on 12/7/11 4:42 am
Thanks for your post, I was super excited when I could glug a half bottle of water again! It took many many month of sip sip sipping water & chrystal light to get to where I can now drink like I did before my DS!
I will be 2 yrs post op on Jan 22nd, & I do know that protein is Super important to us DSers. No, I don't think I got 100g of protein that day! lol It was an indulgent day outing with my hubby. I don't eat like this every day or recommend it for new (not at goal) DSers.

Some of this is reposted to answer similar questions.. for more of the normal foods I try to eat; I love refried beans, all nuts; cashews, sunflower seeds, pecans, peanuts, almonds, pistachios, meaty chili, avocado, hummus, all cheeses, sandwich/lunch meats, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, apricots, cranberries, baby spinach, pineapple, strawberries, blackberries (smoothies), oranges & tangerines, asparagus, celery, garlic, onion, cucumbers... split pea & ham soup, love seafood salad! and egg, or chicken salads, and add more bacon, I eat many of these throughout the week... I was put on Creon by my doc because I was losing 16 lbs per month getting close to goal weight & had to slow down my weight loss, I finally managed to add some extra meals & get off the creon, but until then I was focused on my goal weight.

I started out at 258lbs, and I really stayed strict until I lost 100 lbs & then still didn't stray much until my goal weight, (stayed away from white flour & white sugar carbs, ect) And I was at the gym 4 days per week. So I recommend for new DSers, staying focused on using the 1st year as a window of opportunity to get your health back & get close to goal weight then you have the rest of your life to enjoy & get into a maintain routine. I check the scales daily to see what 'options' I have for that day & if I am 135 - 138 I stray away from carbs more, (and may work out more at the gym or stairs, ect.) & if I am at my regular 133 or less, I can taste more yummies that day! lol protein should be 1st choice, & water/liquids. I know some meats are harder for a new DS tummy to digest - you can just 'try' things & then go back and try/reintroduce them again later.
I Know exercise was & is really important for me to stay healthy. I just did the 5K turkey trot before Thanksgiving & was able to run the WHOLE thing!  I also came in 20th for my age group 40-49 & finished in 37.43! (for me that's really good & I'm 44 yrs old! lol)
Thanks again for your post,
love my DS family
Valerie G.
on 12/5/11 4:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Hubby says I eat like a bird -- little bits at a time, all the damned time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 12/5/11 4:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Do beware of the shameless simple carb eating.  It's nice to enjoy for a while, but the body does manage to catch up.  To bump the protein up, try eating that pancake with sweetened ricotta instead of syrup.  It really gives a boost for protein.  I do a toasted waffle with butter and sweetened ricotta for my latest snack favorite.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

gena267
on 12/6/11 10:50 am, edited 12/6/11 10:54 am
 Girl, I just posted the same thing.  I will be two years out Jan 6, 2012.  All I do is eat.  My family talks about it, my doc says eat more.... dang, I eat every three hours, no joke.  I flex between 145-150.  Starting weight 327.  I find if I don't eat that much my sugar bottoms out and then I am in trouble big time.  I am ask how do you eat so much food?  I don't know!  I have learned if I don't I pay a high price by being in the ER with dangerously low blood sugar and it can drop like a rock in min.  So it is just easier to eat something every three, three and half hours and maintain my blood sugar, than to yo yo up and down and feel like crap.  I wonder if things will change on down the road?  Please let me know how you are doing with this issue.  Thanks Gena

Also I still eat protein first and carbs very little, I think that is very important.  Please keep that in mind.
1Blessed4life
on 12/7/11 2:55 am, edited 12/7/11 3:04 am
LOL I LOVE all the responses! Too fun! Okay I see my nutritionist friday & witht he 15 labs I got back my PCM thought mostly looked good - had 8 more labs & will go over everything with the nutritionist. Shockingly not every DS body absorbs the same, but so far my labs are:
osteocalcin- 47 (8-320
T3- 83 (76-181)
zinc- 10.6 (9.0-14.7)
vit D- 25 (30-100) ( I take vitalady schedule plus another 50,000 from PCM - live in rainy WA) may need to go tanning & add more vitalady vit D.
B6- 62 (2.1-21.7) High i know i know lol
K - 387 (80-1160)
T protein - 6.6 (6.3-8.2) Not in the toilet, but yes need to get it up on the high end.
albumin -3.8 (3.5-5.0)
A 55 (38-98)
I will try to list all of them this weekend..
Love my DS family

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image 
 HW: 260 / SW: 254 / CW: 140 on 01/15/13 Orig GW: 150             ~Jeremiah 29:11  

1Blessed4life
on 12/7/11 3:01 am, edited 12/7/11 3:02 am
When I go back t basics... I lose too much - surgeon put me on creon to STOP the weight loss... I was continuing to lose 16 lbs a month & I am finally able to get off creon & maintaining my weight at 133, If I go over 137 I cut back on the carbs & add excercise.
Love my DS family!

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image 
 HW: 260 / SW: 254 / CW: 140 on 01/15/13 Orig GW: 150             ~Jeremiah 29:11