Your opinion on having the DS performed by "virgin" surgeon

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 10:40 pm
fullhousemom
on 12/3/11 10:45 pm
Please. No.  It was heartbreaking when the young woman died from AZ. You are not just having a DS, you are having a revision.   That is a more complicated surgery from the already complex DS. Dont be an experiment for the doctor. Please, find another doctor who has performed the DS revision surgery. It sounds like you have one close by in Spain!  You and your family and friends will be glad you did. 
shakesgirll
on 12/3/11 11:57 pm
You really all got me thinking, and since it's sunday, i can't call anyone right now to make appointments, however, I was so anxious to find someone that I've sent an email to one of the 2 surgeons suggested in France.

For insurance matters, I can't have the surgery in Spain but there are 2 in France, one is Dr Topart, and I actually know someone who has had the the surgery done by him, he is well-known here (but very expensive)

There is the other one suggested, I had never heard of him, but again, this is a very rare surgery in France, so I've contacted him, he is a hospital surgeon, so I won't pay anything, he is still 400 kms away, but it's worth it.

I really don't want to die or to have a poor life quality because the surgeon was not experimented enough...

Thank you so much for all your advice, you really helped!
shakesgirll
on 12/3/11 10:47 pm, edited 12/3/11 10:52 pm
Hi again,

Thank you everyone for your advice, that's also what I thought, I just hoped it would be OK because it's so convenient to have it done here.

However, I see that a lot of you recommand a Spanish and a German doctor, I'll have to figure out the insurance policy to have the surgery outside France.

I also saw the mention of Dr. Topart in France (he is at 650 km from where I live), and actually, he is the only one that I've known people who have had the DS done by him.

I'll call him tomorrow.

Really, a HUGE thank you to all of you, you're right, this is too dangerous a surgery to be dealt with lightly.

Thank you all !
Sara
orangecrushed
on 12/4/11 12:58 am - Triad, NC
So glad that you are open to listening to what everyone is saying!  The vets have seen people ask this very question, and continue on with their same surgeon... and there's disaster.  Even if there is not death, people end up with a different surgery or some very serious complications that cost you even more in the end.

Your last post made me sigh in relief!  It was so devistating for us all when we lost someone this summer.  I'm glad that you are not making the same choice.

Best of luck with everything!  Keep us updated!

Nic
shakesgirll
on 12/4/11 2:10 am
I will, and I'm so grateful you all took time to give me some advice, I can't ask for your opinion and just carry on doing my thing, there is no point doing that;
Besides, I asked because I already had a strong doubt about this choice, and I thought that people who had already had the surgery would know best!

I'll let you know how I did eventually in several months I guess!

Thank you so much,
Sara
Elizabeth N.
on 12/4/11 10:31 am - Burlington County, NJ
LOL! Oh Sara, you have no idea how many people come on here, ask for advice, get it, and then rail on us for giving it....and THEN carry on however they like. That's pretty much normal behavior. So your interest in actually LISTENING to experience is a pleasure to see.

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 2:27 am
You're a triple time revision.... no way in hell would I let a newbie DS doctor touch me. Hope you reconsider and find a vetted DS surgeon to take you on. Find Kirmy, she had her DS in England, and I'm sure there are many others who can help you with finding a surgeon. Good luck!
zuzupetals2u2
on 12/4/11 10:15 am - Sedona, AZ
Kirmy's friend Kingy has chimed in with info on their doctor already too.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 11:18 am