Newbie food questions...

HeatherLynn
on 12/3/11 10:40 am - TX
 Almost everything I try disappoints me...or gags me, or comes back up.

Protein shakes? I can choke one down, but it's difficult. I'd rather get it through food. Tried a cake shake, liked it, but could only eat 1/2.

I am loving cheese right now...tried rolling it with lunch meat, not so yummy, but I can do it.

Protein bars...no dice. Can't handle any I have tried. 

Love eggs, but they don't love me. 

My biggest issue is, I am missing carbs. I need to add all of these things in to get protein and fat, but need to stay away from carbs. 

I don't eat fish...

I am here to ask for suggestions/recipes. I will be three weeks out Monday. What do I eat to increase my fat intake and my protein? 

MajorMom
on 12/3/11 10:47 am - VA
I think about now I started eating chili and shrimp ****tail. I was still eating cheese and sugar free pudding a lot. I didn't eat very much of anything at 3 weeks out. I did drink shakes though. My program was pushing 100 grams of protein right off the bat.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

HeatherLynn
on 12/3/11 10:50 am - TX
On December 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM Pacific Time, MajorMom wrote:
I think about now I started eating chili and shrimp ****tail. I was still eating cheese and sugar free pudding a lot. I didn't eat very much of anything at 3 weeks out. I did drink shakes though. My program was pushing 100 grams of protein right off the bat.

--gina

Mine wants 100 grams of protein too. They said 3-4 shakes a day, but yuck.  I can force one down a day, but no more at this point. 
MajorMom
on 12/3/11 10:54 am - VA
Have you tried any of the ready to drink shakes like Atkins or some of the others? They might work better than some of the powders.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

KathyA999
on 12/3/11 10:55 am
Cottage cheese?  Greek yogurt?  (you'd need to add some flavoring, it's pretty tangy on its own)  Hummus?  Refried Beans?  Tuna mixed with regular mayo?  Likewise chicken?  Pudding?  Peanut butter?  Cream cheese?  With some of these things you can mix in an "unflavored" protein powder.  I've found the 100% Any Whey Protein is pretty neutral, although it has a slightly vanilla vibe.  I get it from Amazon.

These are all stuff from the mushies phase, which it sounds like you've passed, but they might help you thru this period.  Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

meredith_123
on 12/3/11 11:02 am, edited 12/3/11 10:38 pm - Waterford, MI
My doc still had me on mushies until 4 weeks out. I was eating a lot of cottage cheese. I'd season it with italian seasoning because it got pretty boring. I was also eating refried beans, plain greek yogert flavored with sugar free pudding. Have you tried the Quest protein bars? They are my favorite, best when you microwave them for about 15 seconds. You can order a variety pack that comes with 2 of each flavor. www.questproteinbar.com/store/pc/home.asp
They gave us a recipe for "lasagna" - it was 3/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup marina sauce, 1 egg & italian seasoning. You baked it for about a 1/2 hour at 350 and then top with parmesean cheese. It was pretty good.
Here's a link from DSfacts that gives a run down of foods to eat based on how far out you are. Maybe there will be some things that appeal to you. www.dsfacts.com/Post-Op-Eating.html
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
provolisa
on 12/3/11 5:17 pm - Provo, UT
Thanks for the DSfacts reference. I had not found that one yet, and I have been asking the same sort of questions myself in anticipation of my recovery.

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

goodkel
on 12/3/11 11:06 am
You need to get away from the idea of food being a source of enjoyment for the time being. You still have a long way to go healing. Eat what works. If only cheese is working for you now, eat only cheese. Eat 1/2 a protein cake at a time.

It is ok for food to be "disappointing" now. Just eat what goes down.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

J J the Jet Plane
on 12/3/11 11:59 am
Eat what works and keep drinking what you can.  At 6 weeks I was gagging and having dry heaves because I was dehydrated.  But my first signs were gagging.  Keep drinking as much as you can and eat what you can.  Hang in there. Keep trying different drinks.

Some days I still can not eat much at all, I believe they are referred to as tiny tummy days- from those who have been at this longer than me, keep trying different shakes to see if one will work, because there are some days- food just doesn't work.
Your still swollen and it will get easier!
JJ
pktwatch
on 12/3/11 8:23 pm
For me, I needed a lot of flavor. One thing that I keep going back to is refried beans with taco meat & cheese mixed in. For me it's yummy!  I also like the canned Hormel chili with no beans.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)