swelling after liposuction - thighs, knees

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/11 3:26 pm
I realize that I can cross-post this on the plastic surgery forum, but this is home to me, so I'm asking here too.

I had liposuction on the 22nd on the inside of my knees to improve my stability and ambulation (post WLS ... 3 years).  I knew that "swelling" was a possibility and to be expected, but what I did not expect was to this degree --- and it does not seem to be getting much better.

The bruising is ... it's almost gone ... but the swelling between my knees makes it feel like I'm walking with a basketball between my legs.  I missed work all week this week and can't really afford to miss more time.  (also, I happen to LIKE my job!)

The surgeon mostly says to elevate my legs, use the compression wraps (and gave me different, stronger ones) ... and to eat low sodium, take lots of fluids.  Online, I read that I should be taking higher vitamin C and A levels, and cutting back on vitamin E.

Any other thoughts?   My arms are next -- at Christmas!   I can't wait!!   Thank you for your help ...

Jc
MajorMom
on 12/2/11 8:13 pm - VA
No idea about the swelling but I do remember Vitalady explaining that protein and iron levels should be at optimal to help with healing after plastics. How were your levels pre-op?

I hope things are getting better and you'll be able to go back to work soon.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 12/3/11 12:07 am - bay area, CA
Has the surgeon actually LOOKED at the swelling, or is this phone advice? My concern would be that you could have seromas.
    If it's really just tissue swelling, it should improve with time (and of course elevation, etc). If it's seromas, they should be aspirated, which isn't as bad as it sounds (honest!) and if they recur after a couple aspirations, they can place drains. Again, not as bad as it sounds, office procedure with local.
     Hematomas are also a possibility, but I think this is less likely because the bruising has almost gone.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 2:31 pm
He did look at them, Larra ... on Wednesday (8 days post op) ... but I wondered about aspirations myself.  I was encouraged that the bruising is almost gone, so at some level, there is healing going on.  Thank you!
larra
on 12/4/11 12:13 am - bay area, CA
I'm glad he did see you. Hopefully you will continue to improve, but if not, another look would be in order.

Larra
bdocker
on 12/3/11 4:38 am
Hi there, congrats on your surgery. I know the feeling that this is home - but you are wise to post on both boards you get twice the benefit.

I've done a lot of reading on their boards too. You don't mention if you had any drains or anything else. I know that with most plastics work the swelling lasts for weeks, sometimes months depending on the amount of work done. The 22nd wasn't really all that long ago - so unfortunately unless there is something really severe going on - time will help a great deal along with the other advice especially the compression garments, low sodium, and also lots and lots of fluids.

Wishing you all the best with the surgery you've had an your upcoming work as well.

Brenda~