Neuropathy after any weight loss surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 10:28 am
Just a few thoughts that come to mind in addition to what you mentioned if not already addressed or ruled out:

1.  Excessive sodium intake (probably not)
2.  Protein malnutrition (highly likely)
3.  Guillain-Barre Syndrome  (can be precipitated by acute illness)
4.  DVT's can migrate - did they look in your legs alone or did they check a CT of the abdomen/pelvis?  (high possibility with recent surgery and immobility)
5.  Congestive heart failure  (have you had a cardiologist evaluation with echo to evaluate cardiac function?)
6.  Pelvic and abdominal masses can compress the inferior vena cava and cause leg swelling (again, a CT abdomen and pelvis would assess for this).

I hope they find some answers for you soon.

zuzupetals2u2
on 12/3/11 3:53 pm - Sedona, AZ
what an asset it is to have a medical doctor here on OH who had the DS and is not only highly articulate but caring and knowledgeable. We are blessed here!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

nikkithic
on 12/5/11 3:58 am - Carrboro, NC
The sodiumm is highly unlikely. I do know I don't get enough protein. I added protein drinks back to my diet. I will ask the doctor  about Gullian-Barre. Honestly I had never heard of it. They did check my legs in CT and ultrasound for clots. They also have done MRI on upper and lower spine. No I have not seen a cardiologist. And I will ask my doc about pelvic and abdominal masses compressing the inferior vena cava. Wow! You gave me a lot of interesting things to look into.

Thank you,

Michele
* Gail R *
on 12/3/11 12:30 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
I can't add any advice and can only say that I am concerned for you and I am sending wishes for a quick succeessful recovery. We will be thinking about you so keep us posted on your treatments.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

nikkithic
on 12/5/11 3:59 am - Carrboro, NC
Thanks for your concern. Everything has happened so rapidly and it scares the heck out of me.

Michele
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 2:48 am
Very sorry you are going through such an ordeal. Get ahold of your labs and post them here for help on that end. I too have neuropathy of both legs, ankles, and feet, but mine is due to my L5 S1 nerve damage. Now you would think knowing the probable cause and continuing my epidurals and all other conservative treatments available that the problem would resolve. Nope. My labs indicated my magnesium levels were within the normal range. But as soon as I started taking magnesium suppliments the horrible spasms, tingling and extreme charlie horse like pain has ebbed to a level I can take. Now I'm not saying this is your case...I'm saying it could be a contributing factor that needs looked at; especially if this is happening after your DS. Another thing to look at is potassium, and protein. Please post your most current labs.
nikkithic
on 12/5/11 4:04 am - Carrboro, NC
Thanks. I will post my labs once they email them to me. Just has bloodwork on Wednesday. I hate you are having issues with your legs, but I am glad to know that I am not alone. Very difficult situation. I have a 3 year old that is freaked out. She is so confused as to why her mommy was walking, playing with her and being normal one day, then the next day she is using a walker. The docs have not said anything about Magnesium. I will say inpatient my Mag. levels were low so they gave me IV of it.

Thanks So Much,

Michele