Neuropathy after any weight loss surgery.

nikkithic
on 12/3/11 8:47 am - Carrboro, NC
I had my DS on 06/07/11. And up until October I was so pleased.  I have lost 140lbs which is great. My weight at surgery date was 468. So I am elated about this. In October I got really sick. Couldn"t keep in food down at all. The doctors put in th hospital, and I turns out I had a hiatal hernia, lots of scar tissue, and my esophogus was too narrow. They operated and it was successful. My issue is that after surgery I began to have numbness in both of my legs. I had extrteme swelling and I could not lift my legs without assistance.
I never had in problems with my legs before other than they are huge. I could walk, work do anything that I needed prior to this last hospital stay. The doctors are not sure what is going on. The surgeon Dr. Ranjan Sudan at Duke thinks maybe there is a Vitamin deficency. He added Vitamin B complex and Thiamine. I had Ct scan and ultrasounds to check for blood clots, but nothing. My primary car physician thought it might have been something with my back. I had problems in the past with sciatica. I had an MRI and that showed nothing. The neurologist thinks maybe I either had a stroke in surgery or I have Neuropathy because of the WLS. I am having an MRI on my thoracic spine on Monday.
I need to know has anyone else had issues like this. I have tingling, numbness, stiffness, and weakness in both my legs. I have to use a walker and have help getting up and down. I can"t work because I have a job that requires a lot of standing and movement. Any suggestions.

teachmid
on 12/3/11 9:14 am, edited 12/3/11 9:19 am - OKC, OK
I'm so sorry to hear about your problems.

You might post your labs and your vitamin regimen so the lab experts can take a look. Also, how much protein are you getting in a day?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

nikkithic
on 12/5/11 4:06 am - Carrboro, NC
I will post labs. I don't get enough portein. Probably less than 30 grams a day. Any suggestions?
teachmid
on 12/5/11 6:11 am - OKC, OK
Take a look at Slim Shady's post just below about protein malnutrition. (He's a physician who's also had a DS). You should be at least 100gm a day or more. I drink 2-3 protein coffees/shakes a day for 50gm each because I can only eat about 40gms a day.

I'm not saying that this is causing your problems, but its certainly something to consider. Whay vitamins are you taking?
     -Gail-

nikkithic
on 12/5/11 6:35 am - Carrboro, NC
I'm taking 2 women"s daily multivitamin, 3 calcium citrate with vitamin D, 1 50,000 units of vitamin D a week, 1 thiamine 100mg, 2 vitamin complex b tabs. I should  be taking ADEK i just have not started.  I know I should do more with protein, I honestly just got to the point where I could keep things down. I will check with Slim Shady.

Thanks,
Michele
teachmid
on 12/5/11 7:12 am - OKC, OK
Michele,
Look at Vitalady's recommendations. For example, I take 100,000 dry D3 a day. It sounds like your vitamin regimen needs to be bumped up quite a bit. Majormom (Gina) who posts the Bites, Vites, and Exercites thread daily is an excellent vitamin resource. Take a look at her profile.
     -Gail-

seekingsusan
on 12/3/11 9:17 am - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
I have Non-Diabetic Neuropathy. My chiro believes it is a result of my sciatic nerve being pinched. While my Podiatrist acknowledges this "could be possible", her treatment is, write a script.

Best of Luck to you,
S~

nikkithic
on 12/5/11 3:49 am - Carrboro, NC
I also have pinched sciatic nerve. I was on Lyrica prior to weightloss surgery, but after I lost weight I got better  so they took me off of it. The MRI I had done before Thanksgiving showed that there was swelling at disc but not anything on the nerves in my leg.

Thanks for feedback,

Michele
beth-28
on 12/3/11 10:15 am, edited 12/3/11 10:15 am
What do your labs look like? I just had my DS and while I was in the hospital my legs (and arms) got weak and painful. It turns out that my Potassium and Calcium were very low. Once my surgeon got them back to normal, I was fine! 
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

nikkithic
on 12/5/11 3:52 am - Carrboro, NC
While in hospital for last surgery my potassiuym levels were very low. I got  about 12 bags whileinpatient. Out patient they are better not on potassium. I ntake calium as I should Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D 3 times a day. I also take 50,000 units of Vitamin D a week. They increased Thiamine and added Vitamin B complex.

Thanks,
Michele