So swollen!

beth-28
on 12/2/11 11:58 am

Hi everyone, I'm home! I'll text more later, because while the first few days weren't bad, the last half was a wild ride!

I have a question, if the vets could help.

I am soooo swollen! I look like I'm carrying octuplets! I know that swelling is normal, but how long does it last, approximately? I'm not in alot of pain, but it's so uncomfortable. I wish I had a binder or something..... I feel like I need a wheelbarrow to carry around my stomach!

I am passing gas and burping, but I know that gas is not the only reason I'm swollen.

Thanks!

When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

pktwatch
on 12/2/11 12:08 pm
I'm not a vet but I would recommend getting a binder. My Surgeon had us drinking from kids sippy cups, it helps with the gas because you are not swallowing air when you drink. Good luck!

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Kingy
on 12/2/11 2:05 pm - Hobart, Australia
Glad to see you're home and recovering Beth!  I waddled around the hospital like a deranged pregnant penguin for a few days after surgery but even now (4 weeks out) I have days when I'm definitely more swollen than others.  From what I understand, it takes about 12 weeks for your inside swelling to completely disappear but this will vary from person to person I would imagine.

beth-28
on 12/2/11 3:05 pm
 @ the thought of Kingy waddling around like a "deranged penguin!"  I kinda knew it would take awhile to heal, but I when will I feel like I won't spontaneously? I mean, my stretch marks have stretch marks!

How long before it starts to subside.....even a little?
I know there is gas in my tummy, I'm sure my organs are protesting the insult that has been delivered to them..... when does that part start to reduce?

Oh, and my legs and feet are swollen, but I can't lie down to elevate them because the weight of my stomach tries to suffocate me!

Apparently I gained more than 20 pounds in the hospital. It doesn't bother me. I know it will leave me. I'm more concerned with the discomfort than the numbers on a scale!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Kingy
on 12/2/11 4:11 pm - Hobart, Australia
Wish I could give you a timeline but I can't because we're all different.  All I can say is walk!  Walk for all your worth and with the fluid intake on top, this will help get those legs and feet down in no time.  You're carrying alot of hospital induced fluid and you'll feel sooooo much better when that has left your system.  Are you wearing TEDs?  You know those super sexy tight stockings that make you look like a mummification reject?

Janet P.
on 12/2/11 6:39 pm
For the lap procedure, they blow you up like a balloon in the OR. It gives the surgeon more room to work. It can take weeks for all the air to subside. You're probably retaining water in your legs/feet. Drink plenty and try to keep moving.

It will get better.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

J J the Jet Plane
on 12/3/11 11:32 am
I was really swollen as well, I took a direutic for 2 days and all the water came off, but on the flip side then I got dehydrated and ended up back in the hospital at 6 weeks.  I do have lymphedema so my pain was high with all that fluid stuck on my legs.  Walk and raise your arms and stretch to get that air out a few times a day, just do what is comfortable and if it is too painful stop.  Hold a pillow on your tummy it will help, it just takes a few weeks for the swelling to go down.  For me laying as flat as I could tolerate also helped with the swelling. Hang in there
JJ