How much can you eat at 6 weeks post op?

goodkel
on 12/3/11 7:58 am
You won't be able to eat enough to worry about stretching your stomach and certainly not now. Particularly now while you are early out, you need to eat very slowly and pause between bites. Your body will tell you when you've had enough. You'll need to learn to look for the signs of when to stop. But, you can always eat until you are full as many times a day as you are hungry.

Your stomach sends signals. Either your nerves are still healing and you're not registering them, yet, or you're missing them. Some people sneeze, some get a runny nose, watery eyes, hiccups. Miss them and you'll vomit what your stomach doesn't want. Go slow so your body has time to tell you when you need to stop.

Telling you a specific volume won't help because everyone is different. You'll be different sometimes day by day sometimes hour by hour. I can hold more at night than I can during the day. All I can manage at breakfast wouldn't satisfy me by dinner. Even now.

Eat until you are full and then stop. You'll be eating again in a couple of hours, anyway.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

dlappin413
on 12/3/11 8:11 am - Woodstock, GA
That's a big help, Goodkel.  Thanks!  I guess I'm either not registering the signals yet, or, I'm missing them.  I haven't gotten to the point of sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, or hiccups... or maybe the hiccups... at least I got them when I ate too fast; I only had about a 1/4 cup with that and I didn't think I felt full.  They went away very quickly and none of it came back up.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if I've had too much, I should get some kind of clue aka sneeze, hiccups, etc., and/or, it will come back up.  If that's true, I guess I haven't reached that point yet.  And, you are right, I will eat again in a couple hours anyway, so, if I'm not full, I believe I will feel hungry sooner.  

I have a support person who listened carefully to the dietician (who focused more on rny eating) and is watching the amounts I eat like a hawk and it's starting to drive me crazy.  I appreciate the support but, I'm starting to feel like I have to hide to eat.  He even had me measure an egg to ensure it was only 1/4 cup and had me take about two bites out of what I was eating because it was that much over 1/4 cup.  He won't believe me that I'm eating ok and not eating too much.  He reinforces what the dietician and doc say and thinks I'm out of line.  (OK, so I'm ragging a bit here; please forgive me).
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

goodkel
on 12/3/11 10:26 am
Bologna!

Only you know how much is too much for you. I didn't get the vagus nerve reaction (sneezing, blowing nose) for months, but others got them much sooner. I could just tell that I was full. The few times I pushed it, it came up. Can't really call it vomiting. Just an "urp" and the excess was out.

Tell your support person that you need support, not the food police and neither one of you should be listening to that dietician, anyway. She probably has you avoiding fat, too... Tell him to back off or he's fired. You need to do what's best for you and hiding what you eat is unhealthy behavior. Do not let him bully you around.

Send him here if he needs a talking to.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

dlappin413
on 12/3/11 10:37 am, edited 12/3/11 10:37 am - Woodstock, GA
Thanks again, Goodkel.  You've eased my mind and my stress.  You are right... I need support, not the food police.  And, you are right about the dietician... lean meats, low or no fat, don't eat 30 mins before or after meals... etc.  I will send him here to this site to read some of the postings and maybe he'll understand. 

And... have to say I love your avatar...
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

goodkel
on 12/3/11 12:01 pm
Oh but no, drink before during and after meals if you'd like, you have a pyloric valve! The only issue is having enough room and liquid always trumps food priority-wise.

Early out excess fat may give you the runs so that bears watching, but it will do nothing else to you except help with your weight loss. I found fatty meats easier to stomach early out. Lean meat like chicken breast still sits like an uncomfortable lump in my gut. I like to dip steak in melted butter. Yum!

I've had the same avatar since I joined. I've thought about changing it, but then no one would recognize me except the people I've met in person. But, thank you.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

teachmid
on 12/3/11 10:59 am - OKC, OK
As is common, your dietician is giving you RNY advice. Don't follow it. That's some of the beauty of the DS.

And, I agree.....tell your "support" person to be supportive.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165