How much can you eat at 6 weeks post op?

lesliecoley
on 12/2/11 11:02 pm - chantilly, VA
I had the surgery the day after you. I'm doing about the same, but having problems getting in protein...my dietician wants me to have between 100-130 grams/day.

Have you seen your dietician yet (post op)? Mine said this is normal amount to be eating at this point. I guess the farther out we get the more we will be able to eat. Do you get hungry?

Leslie

dlappin413
on 12/2/11 11:17 pm - Woodstock, GA
I saw my surgeon last Monday.  Haven't seen the dietician post surgery.  The surgeon said that I shouldn't be worried about eating more than 60 grams of protein and that I shouldn't need it.  However, on this site, I hear different from so many people.  I don't know why there is such a variance and why he would say I don't need more.  On the other hand, I also hear here that 30 g at 30 days, 60g at 60 days and 90 g at 90 days is a reasonable progression.  I will be asking him what his reasoning is for the 60 g only. 

My question is still whether or not I'm eating too much!  I get full but, it appears that maybe I'm a little out of the norm for this stage to be able to eat more that it appears others can.  I do get hungry if I go more than 3 hrs between meals so I always take some cheese with me if I'm out and about to get me to the next meal.  

Protein shakes/supplements give me gas and diarrhea so I've stopped them in my diet.

I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

newyorkbitch
on 12/2/11 11:27 pm
The MINIMUM protein,  for health and safety,  I think it what he's saying,  is 60g.  But it's not the IDEAL amount of protein.  If you have more room than 60g of protein,  then add protein - not vegetables.  Once you get up to 100g of protein,  start adding other food.

Have you tried non-dairy protein shakes?

dlappin413
on 12/3/11 6:46 am - Woodstock, GA
Ok on the protein amounts.

Re shakes... I've tried several whey protein isolates, whey protein isolate/concentrate mix, and soy protein.  All of them can be mixed with water and I have done so.  Same result.  The gas and runs issue went away one day after I stopped drinking them... thus, the culprit.

lesliecoley
on 12/2/11 11:30 pm - chantilly, VA
I eat about an ounce of meat at each meal.

I don't think you're eating too much. I think you are right about the progression. I'm just worried about losing my hair if I don't get enough. I don't know how much protein is recommended a day for the average person but I think the reason we need more is because of the malabsorption. In my case, my protein levels were low pre-op so that may be why I need more. I hope they adjust it after my protein stores are normal, because I'm barely getting 60 grams at this point.

I haven't found a protein supplement that works for me yet either.

Leslie

newyorkbitch
on 12/2/11 11:44 pm
I hate to tell you,  but many DSers lose a lot of hair and protein is not going to help.  You are dumping  estrogen, very fast, as a result of the loss of fat.  There's really nothing you can do about the hair loss (if it happens to you),  except wait it out and eventually it will grow in again.

lesliecoley
on 12/2/11 11:59 pm - chantilly, VA
Thanks for the reality check...guess I better go buy a wig

Leslie

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 1:37 am
a few bites is all I could get in, not even 2 oz. at a time. I was more focused on fluids than food.
goodkel
on 12/3/11 5:25 am
You no longer have to worry about eating too much. No such thing.

What you do need to watch is what you eat. If it is protein, have at it. No limits.

But, you do need to watch the carbs: pasta, rice, potatoes, anything made with flour, fruits, vegetables (except for green, leafy ones). Try to keep them under 100 grams, 50 is better. And no carbs until you have had your protein for the day. If you don't have room for protein, you have no extra room for carbs.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

dlappin413
on 12/3/11 6:53 am - Woodstock, GA
thanks!  I do focus on protein and fluids to ensure I'm getting the minimum plus.  As I said, I've been able to stay away from carbs... in six weeks had one bite of a roll at a night out and then nothing.  I have had some veges... I miss them and try to eat just a couple bites when possible.  I did have some spinach salad today at a holiday celebration and I relished it.. I miss the salads.  But, I am still keeping my eyes and focus on protein and fluids first.

So, re the no such thing as eating too much... please explain... can we not "stretch" our stomachs?  Can we not eat too much?  Since I've not had the vomiting and pain that others have felt, it scares me that I will over extend and get back to where I started which I certainly don't want to do.  If my stomach sends no warning messges, do I have to watch the volume closer?  I would think so, no?