Hindsight is 20/20. Would you choose DS over another surgery again?

kareforme
on 12/4/11 11:51 pm
VSG on 01/09/12
Thank you for your opionion. :) It really helps.
Sarah_Anne
on 12/4/11 10:18 pm
Vitamin D deficiency is very very common, particularly in obese people.  Mine was 3 when I was tested about 6 months before surgery.  Its now in the 50 range.  Its not a reason not to have the DS.  You should be tested for a full range of deficiencies before going into surgery and if you are majorly deficient in anything you should start taking supplements before the DS which is good practice in any case.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
* Nicole *
on 12/4/11 10:49 pm
6+ years out now and I would not want anything other than the DS.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Valerie G.
on 12/5/11 4:36 am, edited 12/5/11 4:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

How about bringing up your iron and D deficiency before getting wls? It's a novel idea, I know, but worth considering.

RNY is out otherwise, because the stomach bypass also bypasses your first opportunity to absorb iron. LapBand has all kinds of issues, and there is very little long-term data on the VSG.

As for me, I'm absolutely delighted with the DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kareforme
on 12/5/11 4:55 am
VSG on 01/09/12
WoW! Of course I am working on my numbers. I'm not CRAZY. I was just hoping to get some information from those that have gone through it. Thanks for your opinion.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 5:17 am - Burlington County, NJ
I suspect Val's snark was directed at the nimwit doctor who said that stuff to you, not at you.

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 4:39 am
The only surgery I would even consider would be the VSG.  That being said, I would choose the DS again daily if I needed to.

Six years out and loving life.

Supplements are a valuable thing.  I would suggest dealing with your deficiencies now.  It's good practice, as you never know what you are going to need as a post op of ANY surgery.

You couldn't pay me to get a Lap Band or an RNY, no way no how.

Sharon
kareforme
on 12/5/11 5:05 am
VSG on 01/09/12
Hi Happycatbert! Thank you SO MUCH for your opinion.  I'm working on getting my numbers up now.
Poodles
on 12/5/11 12:32 pm - TX
Beware of any advice from a surgeon that does not do the DS.  I had one tell me all kinds of reasons why I shouldn't/couldn't get the DS and needed the RNY.  Luckily for me, I came here and was encouraged to get a second opinion.  This time from a surgeon that does all four surgeries. Does your surgeon do all four surgeries?  If so how many DS surgeries has he performed?  You want to make sure he is a "vetted" surgeon before you let him cut on you.

Since the lap band failed me, I was very cautious on what to do next.  I have worked at a bariatric clinic and know way too much about the RNY to feel comfortable about it, so my only recommendations would be the sleeve or DS.  At the time, my insurance did not cover the sleeve, but they covered the DS.   They started covering the DS in September, and I was on the table in November.  (This was after being approved for the rNY for almost a year... I just couldn't do it.)

If I would have known about the DS first, I would have never done the lap band.   If I was not knocking on heavens door, I would not have been open to the malabsorption aspect of the DS, but lucky for me the insurance pushed me that direction. (Most of the time they don't help us out much, though). 

If you want a restrictive surgery only and are willing to diet (low carb low calorie low fat) then go with the sleeve.  If you like protein and fat, and can handle taking you vitamins, go with the DS.  I love that bacon is now my health food!  HTH!
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

kareforme
on 12/5/11 10:31 pm
VSG on 01/09/12
Thank you for your help!! Much appreciated and very insightful!!