Hindsight is 20/20. Would you choose DS over another surgery again?

kareforme
on 12/2/11 10:22 pm
VSG on 01/09/12
I am waiting for approval of wls and my first choice is ds. Well, due to my iron and vit D deficiency it may not be a smart decision, per my doctor. If DS was not an option for you what would have chosen? 
M. Miller
on 12/2/11 10:26 pm
 I am not a vet..I am a pre-op, the vets will surely chime in.  But it seems to me you can take lots of steps up restore your vitamin D and iron to acceptable levels.  It may take time, but well worth it.  I just received bty baseline labs and I am Vit D deficient, a few vets chimed in and said get it under control now becasue it is harder to do post op with the mal absorption.

What are yourt Vit D and Iron levels?

gwbp
on 12/2/11 10:40 pm
4 + years out. I have struggled with anemia (#'s coming back up) ABSOLUTLY DS is my best chance in the battle with obesity. I would not trade this surgery or another.
Gwyn
fullhousemom
on 12/2/11 11:09 pm
 Vitamin D deficiencies are becoming more and more common, especially in snow belt areas. We hear about it more because more people are getting tested for it. There is no reason why you cant get your D up before surgery, which you should do regardless. 

I wouldnt look at any other weight loss surgery. AND I would talk to your DS surgeon and get their opinion on your risks. Your PCP is probably not really in a position to make a recommendation against the surgery. Most dont know much about the DS. 
lesliecoley
on 12/2/11 11:18 pm - chantilly, VA
I had the same problem. I was so anemic that they postponed my surgery. My solution is iron infusions. I had to get 5 prior to surgery and now I have to go 1x/month. There is a vitamin d (D3-50) that you can get from either bariatric advantage or vitalady (can't remember where I ordered it from) that is 50,000 units you will need to take. For iron, there is something called proferrin ES(it is a Heme type of iron so you absorb more) .

I'm 6 week post-op, I'm down 2 sizes in pants, 3 in tops, 34.5 pounds (at weigh in last week).

I would do it again in a heart beat. There are lots of changes that it takes time to adapt to, and I'm not getting all of my vitamins and protein in, but still, the advantages definately outweigh the adjustments.

Leslie

girlygirl1313
on 12/2/11 11:19 pm - Davidson, NC
 Vita D deficiency is very common and can almost always be corrected with high doses and a little sunshine.

Iron deficiency is also very common in women, anyway.  I have always been iron deficient.  After surgery I had a simple iron transfusion and my labs have not only been normal but I no longer have to take a daily supplement!  win/win!

It is easy to deal with both these issues before having surgery.

I am 16 months out and I'm loving my DS!!!!!

newyorkbitch
on 12/2/11 11:23 pm, edited 12/2/11 11:23 pm
What is the cause of your iron and Vit D deficiencies?  What have you tried to fix the issues?
fullhousemom
on 12/3/11 1:50 am
 Re: Vitamin D. My PHP has MS and there is a larger correlation of MS cases in snow areas than sunny areas. They have linked MS (among other things) and  Vitamin D deficiencies. Simply living in Michigan is a reason your Vitamin D is low, since your body makes D with sunlight.   Its not uncommon and you aren't doing anything wrong. 

I cant speak for iron, but deficiencies are very common.  There are lots of people who have easily taken cate of their iron deficiencies on this forum. 

The good news is you know about your deficiencies and can take care of it!  I believe there are many people walking around not knowing. Vitamin panels are not regularly ordered by doctors. My insurance will only pay for a test IF I'm having a problem.   We practice too much reactive medicine and not enough preventative. 
BeSwitched
on 12/2/11 11:35 pm

Perhaps Dr Yenumula doesn't think the DS is a smart decision because Dr Yenumula doesn't do the DS.

kareforme
on 12/3/11 12:12 am
VSG on 01/09/12
I'm going thru GHP in Grand Rapids. And you are right Dr. Y doesn't do it but others do.