Help..baseline labs..what does it all mean.

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 12:00 am
You should be able to bring your D levels up substantially in 6 weeks with heavy supplementation.

Will your doc test you again right before surgery?
M. Miller
on 12/3/11 6:44 am
 I added them .,,,

newyorkbitch
on 12/2/11 11:58 pm
I don't see a ferritin level on your lab list.
M. Miller
on 12/3/11 12:18 am
 No ferritin, I noticed  there are a few things missing based on Vitalady's lab list, but when I got lab orders it was before I knew about DS...DOC Stewart at inital consult recommended I look into, and I told hi mto treat me as DS and I would research and we coud adjust things if I decided against it.  I inadvertently left off the iron and B12 info
information

Iron , total 61 (40-175)
Iron Binding Capacity 383 (240-450)
% saturation 16 (15-50)'
Vit b12 576 (200-1100)

And new year new insurance and you bet your bippy I will make sure Doc tests me again before surgery.  This whole experience had taught me what an advocate I have to be for myself...as well as confirming I need a new PCP....ughh.....

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 12:23 am
Try to bring your B12 levels up also.  I understand the lab ranges say you are ok but there are numerous studies out about B12 levels below 400 causing neurological damage.  I let mine get below 600 and suffered from foot drop. It cleared up after 2 shots but it was scary!!!!

M. Miller
on 12/3/11 12:43 am
 What kind of B12 should i consider and how much.

Wondering if the numb toes I developed int he past feew weeks have anything to do with any of this.  I have found some research saying numb fingers are related to Vit D deficiency.  Gosh..thank you ladies for all your help and advice...I sosoososososososososos apprecitate it more than you will ever know!
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 12:55 am
Methylcobalamin sublingual.  5000mcg, I would say 4x a week pre-op and then go by your labs.

I like my labs to be between 1500-2000 but I have trouble keeping my B12 up and do shots.  This problem presented pre-op and for me the shots are easier.

There are 2 forms of B12, cyanocobalamin ( your body converts it in the liver) and the Methylcobalamin (already converted).