Trazadone question?

momx4
on 12/1/11 11:46 am - TX

I have RLS (restless leg sydrome) and had been neurontin for years then had to get off of it, because I built up a tolerance to it.   I tried requip to no avail....... Anyway, they prescribed Trazadone for its sedative effects...its actually an anti-depressant but they found that it helps induce sleep so it is used more for those purposes now.  I stopped taking it a few months ago for different reasons, and now I think I need it again especially since this surgery I am down about 4 hours then up......so my question is.........will I absorb it like normal?  I am confused about all meds when it comes to the DS....do we absorb them or not?  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am just trying to figure all of this out!  The only med I am currently on is prilosec (surgeon prescribed it) so I never truly figured out the "meds & DS) since I don't really take any meds per se?

Kristi                
sarah141
on 12/1/11 12:19 pm - Fort Bragg, CA
 I've been taking it at night for about a year.It helps with anxiety, depression & it helps keep me asleep while Lorazepam puts me to sleep.  I haven't had any absorbtion issues with it.  Learning isn't dumb.  Of course, you should always ask your surgeon or another qualified medical professional.  

Happy sleeping.
 - Sarah    (Don't tell anyone I'm a secret ninja warrior!)
Visit: ThugRadio.Net, twitter.com/ThugRadio, sarah-anderson.artistwebsites.com/

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/1/11 12:28 pm
 I take it for sleep and I also take Prozac and Lamictal.  I take the pills and desolve them in a cup of water. If they desolve in around 10 minutes I assume that they will desolve in my new stomach and intestines.  My surgery is Monday and I've spoken with my surgeon and with my psych and both said it was fine for after surgery.  However, we'll watch it and see if it still helps with sleep.  For now, it's the best thing ever.  It KEEPS me asleep all night which I NEVER got until I took it.  THe doc said that he's never seen it prescribed for anything but sleep.  Aparently it's in the same class as antidepressants but that it doesn't have that effect--just the sleep/anxiety thing.  Anyway, for me it's a g-d send.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

Kingy
on 12/1/11 1:30 pm - Hobart, Australia
I feel for you with the restless legs, I am suffering from them atm.  I used to get them on occasion pre-operation but now after the operation they seem so much worse.  Am trying the Magnesium fix before I start to look for something stronger. 

The key to any meds post operation, I believe is to make sure they're not enteric coated, it's that coating that makes it hard for us to absorb them before they leave our stomach.  Having said that, just about any pill can be crushed (though it may taste hideous), so it's really just a matter of checking with your doc/surgeon etc to see which one is best for your issues.

Elizabeth N.
on 12/1/11 11:05 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I love my trazodone dearly and seem to absorb it just fine. It's not time released.

Emily F.
on 12/2/11 6:38 am
Shouldn't be a problem.
dtabor5
on 12/2/11 6:45 am
I have been taking it along with Ambien for sleep every night for 3 years.... I absorb this just fine.... it will help 100%

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

momx4
on 12/2/11 10:41 am - TX
Thanks ladies, here is looking to trying to sleep n my bed tonite AND I'll be taking a trazadone!!
Kristi                
RKLC2002
on 12/2/11 11:50 am - Omaha, NE
I also have RLS.  It goes in waves for me.  I finally got a script for requip, but I read the warnings and it made me nervous.  Years ago, I was on Trazadone.  Maybe I'll see if I can try that again.

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

Band to DS
on 12/4/11 11:48 am, edited 2/3/12 11:13 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!