Question about skin removal....

levittown_loser
on 12/2/11 5:37 am - Levittown, PA
You are more likely to get approved for a panni removal if you have a hernia or something else that needs to be fixed at the same time.  

Panni removal is just that though.  It's skin amputation.   There is no muscle work done and it  does not give very good results alone unless you are dealing with huge amounts of panni.  

I had a bad hernia and still decided to just have it fixed when I had my plastics done.   I went to Mexico with Dr. Sauceda.    He hand sewed my huge hernia while he did my lower body lift.   I also went to Mexico so I could get it all done at once.   I did an upper body lift with male breast reduction, arm lift, lower body lift, small thigh lift for under 18K.   I would have had to pay about 6k toward my hernia repair in co pays at home so just put that in with my plastics fund :)

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/2/11 5:36 am
 As mentioned above, it depends on your insurance plan.  I have an HMO (Kaiser) and they cover the paniculectomy--but I've researched that option and found that many people lose their belly buttons and that reconstructing the belly button is considered cosmetic and thus not covered.  The paniculectomy is done (usually) when the patient has proof that the excess skin is causing health issues.  For instance, the first time I lost 140 pounds (yes, I did this before with diet and exercise 15 years ago) I had so much excess skin.  It cause rubbing, soars, rashes etc.  Also, I had trouble wearing clothes because I always had excess skin hanging out of them.  I probably would have had a good case against the insurance company to give me plastic surgery in the problem places (stomach, arms, bra area) but I was so young (21) that I didn't really know my rights here in CA.  My advice to you, is find out which organization oversees the insurance companies in your state (in CA it's The Department of Managed Health Care).  Then they can inform you of your rights.

Regarding the "Panni" I have heard from many people that it's just not as good as a tummy tuck--the muscles are left alone in the panni and the cosmetic element of it all is also not taken into account with the panni (though maybe some docs still think about that).  To the best of my knowledge Panniculectomies are done for health reasons and tummy tucks are done for cosmetic reasons (and health as well).   

Honestly though, even with the rubbing and extra skin, I was still thankful to be able to really live my life without the extra weight.  I would have lived with the lose skin forever if I had to just to remain healthy.  So, you'll see how you feel when you get there.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

Valerie G.
on 12/2/11 9:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Totally varies from one company to another.  Mine didn't cover squat - but I was blessed enough that mine isn't too bad and easily concealed.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bdocker
on 12/2/11 1:24 pm
Hi,

Like you I am hanging out here waaay in advance of getting anything scheduled and have done similar research. You've done good homework so far.

What everyone is saying is true - there is a huge variance from insurance to insurance but normally the severity of your need for a panni is based on how far down your panni hangs. The further down it hangs the more severe your need for plastics. Some insurances will cover any sort of skin removal if it is causing issues and your medical providers push for it. I have a PPO and it would be covered if my providers assisted in the request of it and provided medical necessity.

A key piece you are going to have to decide on, is after you are losing your weight you will have to see how far you want to take your body. Also the "when" is way different for everyone. I've seen folks need surgery half way through their weight loss journey and I've seen folks that also reach their goal in less than a year. Depends on how it works out for you personally. I've spent some time on the plastics forum to get an idea of what folks go through and would suggest that for you too. They are very friendly there and talk openly about their experiences.

I think it would be in your best interest to hear from more guys as I find that men and women tend to have different issues about their bodies AND they lose weight in slightly different areas and will have excess skin in different ways. They could share with you what they chose and why. What levittown_loser shared is probably more helpful in that it's the male perspective.

My observation is that folks with really high BMIs (over 50) tend to have panni removals - and they sometimes have them prior to being at goal to help improve mobility and keep them moving towards their goal. Then when they get their goal they have more plastics done. For folks who done have pannis and have met goal - they often have body lift procedures (there are a variety - the most common that I've seen being the lower body lift) and when they have these procedures they often have muscle tightening. For a lot of folks - when they get mobility they really get into working out and finally find they want a ripped body because they never thought it possible - that's when they get into breast reduction (male and female) muscle tightening etc.

So it depends on what sort of person you wind up being. Whew - sorry this was so long winded. But you asked such a wonderful question and I've been doing a lot of reading and thought perhaps I finally had something to share.

Good luck on your journey!
Brenda~