Question about skin removal....

alldredget
on 12/2/11 3:23 am - Comstock Park, MI
Ok, so my DS isn't even scheduled yet, but I do have insurance approval and hopefully will have it soon. Anyways, I know this question is WAAAYYY premature, but I would appreciate some information on skin removal surgery?

Basically, if I get to the point where I have skin folds and extra skin everywhere, does insurance cover any of the removal of excess skin or is that going to have to be completely out of pocket?

Any stories or advice from people that has gone through it would be appreciated...

Thanks, 
z85sparty
on 12/2/11 3:56 am - Mason, MI
 My insurance covered the pani removal and I paid out of pocket for the rest of the work I had done. 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

alldredget
on 12/2/11 3:57 am - Comstock Park, MI
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "pani" short for? What exactly did the insurance cover the removal of?  Thanks for the help!! 
Blank Out
on 12/2/11 4:35 am
 Panni is the skin that hangs down from your belly.  You won't even want to consider plastics for at leat two years after surgery.  Your body will do a lot of changing.  Every insurance is different.  Mine pays for nothing!  I will have to save up myself for it one day.  There is compression wear, body shapers that really help.  For men, the compression wear is something you buy at an athletic store.  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

alldredget
on 12/2/11 4:41 am - Comstock Park, MI
Thanks for the information. I can't find the term "panni" on wikipedia, is it short for something? I did find the tummy tuck article though, but nothing in that article sounded like it would be called "panni"?

I am not sure if I will even need it or not and am sure I am a good couple years away if I do.. 
alldredget
on 12/2/11 4:47 am - Comstock Park, MI
I found it....it is short for "panniculectomy surgery"  now to figure out if it is the same thing as a tummy tuck or different somehow....
smileyjamie72
on 12/2/11 4:53 am - Palmer, AK

I think the panniculectomy is just the skin portion.  The tummy tuck is way more extensive surgery, with the muscles, and a larger incision (like an upside down boat anchor).

Hope that helps!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

k9ophile
on 12/2/11 4:56 am
On December 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM Pacific Time, alldredget wrote:
I found it....it is short for "panniculectomy surgery"  now to figure out if it is the same thing as a tummy tuck or different somehow....
http://www.cosmeticsurgerytoday.com/abdominoplasty/pannicule ctomy/

Wow!  You're quick.  Looks like you've got the research skills to take care of a lot of your questions for the technical articles.  This forum is great for the personal side of WLS and the reassurance I needed  (and still need) for day to day living with the DS.

As others have said, it is a wild ride.  I have lost my hypertension and sleep apnea while gaining a new found mobility.  My depression has lessened since I can now do more things that my weight kept me from doing. 

Hang around for the friendships and information.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

airbender
on 12/2/11 5:17 am
like anything else it depends on your insurance and it would have to be deemed medically necessary
alldredget
on 12/2/11 5:21 am - Comstock Park, MI
Yeah, I read up on it on Priority Health's website and it seems almost impossible to get them to cover it. Basically, if you have insane ulcerous sores for years with no relief they might, otherwise its just considered cosmetic....

I guess I don't understand the term "medically necessary", I assume that it is rare for someone to die from extra skin, and death is the only thing I would consider "medically necessary".  I will die from being obese, but not from extra skin I assume....