I need some friends..

alldredget
on 12/2/11 5:11 am - Comstock Park, MI
Thanks everybody. I am sure my wife will come around when it is all said and done. I would like to inspire people. I work with a guy that is larger than I am and I would love to help him.

I don't plan on anybody going with me to any of my appt's until the actual surgery when my wife will take me. But I plan on being on here quite a bit! 
(deactivated member)
on 12/2/11 9:14 am - San Jose, CA
If there is any way for you to attend a DS meeting before surgery with your wife, with a bunch of post-op DSers in attendence, that may help her "get it."

On the other hand, my husband's primary take-away from the first meeting he went to with me when I was pre-op was the one person who told the support people to not become the food police - for some reason, that really pissed him off.

But seeing people who were post-op and HAPPY and not sick and not reeking and eating well was also a big eye-opener, as were the "testimonials" from people about how they had no satiety and a driving hunger ALL THE F'ING TIME and how it wasn't just a matter of willpower when you have an insatiable biological imperitive to EAT driving your every waking (and even dreaming) thought.  And that it is a BIOLOGICAL problem that the DS fixes, and isn't necessarily a mental issue that you could fix if you wanted to badly enough.
provolisa
on 12/2/11 4:51 pm - Provo, UT
I so hear you about that lack of satiety, and the primal, driving hunger!! I have never heard it explained that way, but I have tried to explain this to people all of my life, until I felt too guilty to even discuss it!
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

BeagleMama
on 12/2/11 7:21 am
Welcome Tim! You are in the right place, and I think it is the right time for you. It takes a brave soul to look into surgery and follow through on all that is required just to have the surgery. From there, we will learn and grow (and shrink) together. The weight will finally come off, and it won't literally be overnight, so you can ease into the loss and the differences in your appearance. But the weight will come off, never to be regained, and that is priceless! You will discover so much about yourself throughout your journey, and you will have so much to share with others in and out of the DS community. Definitely read, read, and read some more. There are some great vets on this board, who have life-giving and life-saving advice for all of us. Be sincere,(you already are, I can tell!) and ask questions, and above all, read, read and read. So much will open up for you, stay with us. You definitely have some peeps here! Now if this isn't a Freudian slip, I don't know what is -- instead of typing "peeps" just now, I typed "poops" at first! GAh! Sending you a friend request! My surgery is coming up on December 21st. What a gift, restoring my health! I will take it Santa, thank you very much!
BeagleMama
alldredget
on 12/2/11 8:02 am - Comstock Park, MI
 Thanks BeagleMama, the 21st is my appt to meet with the Surgeon, big days for both of us. I do feel ready, the whole thing seems surreal, I have battled weight for so long and here is a cure for the most part??

I will think of you on the 21st when I am sitting in the waiting room to see the surgeon, hoping everything is going well for you...
BeagleMama
on 12/2/11 2:18 pm
Thanks Tim! I will surely feel the good vibes on the 21st. I am so excited! I am sending the same good wishes your way, your surgeon has an excellent reputation, he's one of the best! I hope all goes well at your visit, and you get your date lined up soon.
BeagleMama
teachmid
on 12/2/11 7:27 am - OKC, OK
Welcome and congratulations. You'll find great information and support here.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

meredith_123
on 12/2/11 10:11 am - Waterford, MI
Congrats on getting your approval!  You have a great surgeon, you will be in great hands.  He did my surgery in September and so far everything has gone great.  The recovery was actually much easier than I expected, but that varies person to person.  I've already lost 61 pounds in about 3 months, so it's going really fast. 
I'd recommend going to the support groups that GHP offers if you live in that area.  I haven't made it to them because I don't live out that way, it's about 2 1/2 hour drive, but I do enjoy meeting others who have had the surgery. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
lk1970
on 12/2/11 10:48 am
you'll love Dr Kemmeter!! please let me know if you need anything!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Heather E.
on 12/2/11 11:01 am
Congratulations on your approval, and welcome to the DS board!

I didn't have Dr. Kemmeter, but his partner, Dr. Foote, did my DS.  There are a bunch of us Michigan DSers floating around here, and we have a Facebook group, too.  We try to get together in person a few times a year, and we'd love to have you join our group :)

If there's anything I can help you with, just ask.  This is quite a journey you're about to undertake, but it is definitely worth it in the end.  We can all relate to what you're going through - been there, done that.  Just know that you are doing what's best for you - your physical AND mental/emotional health.  Good luck!

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140