HELP: Dr. Mario Alberto Almanza Reyes in Tijuana for DS?

Elia-B
on 12/1/11 10:02 am
Centennial Bariatric with Hugh Houston in Nashville guarantees their surgeries for something like 90 days in the event that there are complications.  For a self pay patient, this could be a very big deal!!!  I'm unsure of what types of revisions he's vetted in.

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 5:19 am, edited 11/30/11 5:54 pm
The only DS surgeon in Mexico is Ungson but if she has a mesh band on the VBG, I dunno if he will / can do the revision.

I only recommend him for Virgin DS and Lapband revisions.

Michele

PS. She will be lucky to wake up with Almanza. I wouldn't let him operate on my neighbor's dog! Just my personal opinion!
larra
on 12/1/11 8:35 am - bay area, CA
You already have the low down on Dr. Almanza. I remember that thread. It was terrifying. If she goes to him, she'll either wake up with something other than a DS (don't know what), or with a story about how nothing could be done, or with a DS that stands a high risk of serious complications.
     Revisions from VBG can be very tricky, esp if mesh was placed around the banded part of the stomach. Even some of the best revision surgeons around aren't always able to revise to a sleeve and the patient ends up with some kind of hybrid. But her best chance is definitely only with an experienced DS revision surgeon. Whether Dr. Ungson would take her on, I don't know. He definitely doesn't do RNY to DS revisions, does do lap band to DS revisions, but VBG revisions are less common so I don't know his practice on that one.
     Please continue your efforts. The red flags are not imaginary and her life is on the line.

Larra
roger107
on 6/17/12 8:36 am
I had surgery with Dr. Almanza-Reyes in Tijuana on April 30,2012. It was a revison from a band that was no longer functioning. So far so good. I started at 240 lbs coming from 243 after a 3 day prep and am now 214 lbs that is  46 days after surgery. No complications of any kind so far and was checked again in New York by prominent bariatric surgeon here who stated everything is as it should be for a succesful surgery. I have embarked on a regimen of exercise and make every efforts to limit any carbs to very minimal amounts and most days don't have any.