HELP: Dr. Mario Alberto Almanza Reyes in Tijuana for DS?

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 3:54 am
I have someone come see me today who has already paid a deposit to Dr. Mario Alberto Almanza Reyes in Tijuana, Mexico for DS.  She has information with her.  He's charging $7K for the DS and $800 for the cholecystectomy.  She's traveling alone.  She's a failed VBG, so this would be a revision surgery also.  I told her Dr. Ungson is the only surgeon in Mexico I would recommend for DS and with it being a revision I'm not even sure about recommending him as opposed to having it done in the US.  Money is an issue.  She cannot afford self-pay here.  I've given her the COE hospital email to see if she can contact them.  This one makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.  I need your help so I can guide her in the right direction. 

Does Dr. Almanza do DS?  I'm almost certain he doesn't do revisions.

He charges the same for VSB, RNY, and DS.  Red flags going up.  I sense a bait-and-not-switch.

I can almost hear your responses as I type, but I know nothing about Dr. Almanza.  I just know Ungson is the only one I've ever heard anything favorable about regarding DS.  Thanks in advance for your responses.  She really needs DS and I want her to be certain that's what she'll wake up with. 
Alusien
on 12/1/11 4:42 am - Waxahachie, TX
I don't have any specific information about this doctor, but I do have my own anecdote about surgeries in Mexico.

My favourite embalmer's wife went to Mexico around 2006 to get a DS, as it was about half the price of one performed in the US.  She went on and on about how it was done in a resort setting and that they took care of all your needs. 

The surgeon apparently didn't suture/staple her stomach well enough, nor her intestinal joins.  She had several sutured areas come loose, resulting in severe abdominal sepsis that eventually killed her.

It was less than two months from the date of her surgery to when we buried her.

Seeing one of my coworkers burying his wife kept me from even considering surgery until 2009 when a coworker had the DS done locally.  Even then, I observed her physical changes for over a year and did my own research prior to actually deciding on a procedure and doctor.

The idea of going out of country for a surgery kinda gives me the willies.

inkedandsleeved
on 12/1/11 4:54 am
 There's only one recommended and vetted DS doc in Mexico, check the dsinfo site.

I've never heard that that doc does DS and I am self-pay and was searching out-of-the-country options for my revision first, because I was confortable for my VSG in Mexico, but that's a fairly simple procedure. DS? Don't think I'd do it because of the sheer amount of aftercare and communications that are necessary. I do know that Dr. Aceves does the DS with Dr. Marcini in the op room together now. But have her take a look at the site.

I'm a noob to this forum so sorry if i'm telling you things you may already know ;/
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 5:01 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Valerie G.
on 12/1/11 5:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Holy ****!!!  

Note that Huacuz is the other butcher in the TJ area claiming to do the DS

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 5:22 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
It's a crime in progress.
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 5:28 am
Thank you, Pumpkin X.  I've directed her to this thread to read everyone's responses. 

I gave her information to contact Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Keshishian, and Dr. Roslin regarding revision from VBG to DS.  I honestly don't know if Ungson does revisions or not so input is welcomed. 

I've told her that I don't have a good feeling about this surgeon in Tijuana.  Is he in the same practice as Verboonen by chance? 

At any rate, we had a lengthy discussion about whether she's really saving money in the long-run if she develops complications.  We also had a lengthy discussion about bait-and-don't-switch doctors.  I told her I'd rather see her gather the additional funds to have it done by a reputable surgeon and decrease her risk of complications.  A $7K surgery can turn into a six-figure surgery fast if there are complications. 

Thanks again, everyone, for your posts to this thread.  You may very well be saving a life!
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 5:31 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Verboonen has nothing to do with that low life.

There are just so many bad things about Almanza I'd like to say, but his surgery coordinator is sue happy. All I can say is, STAY THE HELL AWAY !
Valerie G.
on 12/1/11 7:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I'm pretty sure Ungson does revisions.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 11:12 pm - Lancaster, OH
He does, but there's at least one member here who went for an RNY to DS revision and woke up with an ERNY.  And, I'm not saying that he's never done one, but I don't know of anyone on this board who has gone for a revision who did get a true DS.
I would encourage Dr. Slim's patient to check with him (Dr. Ungson), but to be very specific about what she will accept in the way of a revision.