Who needs buns anyway?!

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 7:33 am
Love it! Val was ( is )  very helpful to us all, that's for sure. She's the one who told me about my DS doctor being in Dayton, which is where I grew up.
Valerie G.
on 12/1/11 10:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I have three commercial sauces all of the time, and when I can get my hands on some fresh hot peppers, I'll cook them down with some cheap liquor and something sweet and make a really hot sauce.  It's the meat that's the star, though.  You don't want to cover up the smoky goodness that we cook old-school fresh every day.  People start calling at 10am on weekends to reserve their racks of ribs at dinner.  There have been days where  I was sold out of ribs or brisket before it even came off of the smoker.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 10:55 am
ya evil woman!! made my mouth water!
hollyweasel
on 12/1/11 9:57 pm - MI
Owning a BBQ would definately be in my top ten dream jobs.

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

ModestoK
on 12/1/11 4:12 am
Valerie-
     If I lived anywhere near you, I'd be swinging by for a Naked Nasty Pile o Meat.  It sounds awesome.   I actually do go to the only decent BBQ place I've found in CA and then mix greens in with naked pulled pork BBQ.  Yum.
     Do you have a special low carb sauce you use?  I love me some BBQ, but so many of the sauces available comercially are so sugary. 
     Damnit - now I want BBQ!

Kim
Valerie G.
on 12/1/11 5:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
First off, I never bothered counting carbs, but I did pick and choose where things were absolutely necessary or worthwhile, and BBQ sauce counts as that.  So was my homemade corn muffins instead of a sandwich bun.  I make reasonable choices with things, and splurge on some.  It's just me living realistically, yet not recklessly.  

BBQ can definitely be a lower carb food, though, like some pork or chicken topped with some slaw with a side of green beans or collard greens.  Oh yeah, that's living!

Valerie
DS 2005

Miss Liss
on 12/1/11 4:45 am
I had never had coleslaw on pulled pork before until I went to Memphis and Nashville on business trips and ate at  BBQ restaurants in both places that topped my pulled pork with coleslaw.  But, boy, I sure did like it.  From now on, when I go to eat BBQ, I will be requesting coleslaw and no bun.  YUM!!

Valerie G.
on 12/1/11 5:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
We have lots of fun with slaw - but only by request.  My customers helped come up with names:

Sloppy Wilbur topped with slaw = Pig Nasty (some call it The Hot Mess)
Naked pork topped with slaw = Naked Nasty
Brisket topped with slaw = Moo Nasty
Chicken topped with slaw = Dirty Bird

Valerie
DS 2005

Miss Liss
on 12/1/11 6:19 am
Your restaurant sounds like a really cool place.  I love all of the creative names on the menu.  Makes it more fun. 
honeybadger 11
on 12/1/11 5:16 am - FL
***LIKE*** that the only way to eat pulled pork...with slaw on top and the bun is completely unnecessary and for savages that dont know how to use a fork;) hehe

Even tho im all for eating with my fingers!!!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com