So what exactly DOES happen if you vomit post-op?

afoster1
on 12/1/11 8:32 am, edited 12/1/11 8:33 am - Las Vegas, NV
Don't worry - I think this is just our bodies' way of trying to adjust to the "trauma" that we've put it thru in surgery as well as you getting used to the size of your new stomach.  It's easy to over-estimate just how much it holds early out but it adjusts eventually.  I vomited constantly for the first month.  Every day and throughout the day, but that was me - some don't experience this at all or maybe not to that degree.  The smells and sights of food on tv and even air deodorizers would set me off.  I didn't think it would ever end but it does.   DS surgeons know they're stuff quite well so no need to be concerned about "bustin loose".

Hang in there - you'll be just fine. 

Berta

We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one another.
Crazeru
on 12/1/11 9:22 am, edited 12/1/11 9:23 am
I can count the times on one hand... Only threw up the offending matter or bite.  Now, if I get over full, I'm just uncomfortable for 30-45min.  Then, I'm ok again.  Don't eat then try to get down your vitamins... there isn't room...

ETA - My all full signal is burping.  When it starts I know that my tummy is close to full, may have to rethink taking that next bite.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

walter A.
on 12/1/11 10:05 am - lafayette, NJ
havent vomited since 95 when i had my fundi done, spit up some fomies a few times after my ds durring the month post op after my ds last year , but no big deal.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/1/11 11:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
Well, your basic wretching episode isn't likely to disturb anything. You have to barf pretty hard to really tear something. (generally speaking; we are talking about living tissue here so there are wide variations in strength and stuff...)

But it HURTS to wretch, that's for sure. If you feel the need to heave, grab a pillow and hug it hard against your front, covering as much of your belly as possible for support. Ditto for coughing and sneezing.

What comes up will be totally different from anything you urp now. Much less acid and stuff, so it won't be nearly as disgusting as what you toss now with the flu or whatever.

Eli1979
on 12/1/11 11:11 am
 I cannot tell you how many times I wretched while still in the hospital and I did not damage mine.  
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 12:30 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I spent many years barfing post-rny, and I've probably only done it 3x since the DS. The first time was  weeks post op, I took a bite of a hamburger and was suddenly nauseated beyond belief.  I still can't eat a 5 guys burger.

I didn't do any damage to myself, only to the poor bag.
Jolly Rancher
on 12/1/11 1:13 pm
I've barfed more than my fair share since sx. It isn't exactly the same, in that you don't have the acidic burning that used to come pre-op. Yes, I've had the wretching, nothing more to come up, but still heaving vomiting. It's not fun at all, but nothing got broken along the way. Still there is not much acid, and for that I'm grateful! At times, I'm able to just bend over and whatever is offending just comes up, but other times I'm not so lucky. Sometimes I do have the multiple times wretching until whatever is that last little offending item finally makes its way up!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW