HOW did you slow down your eating

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 1:12 am
I never chewed anything to a RNY pulp, but I did eat too fast and my new guts let me know it. One thing too is I was inhaling air with each bite, causing me to burp constantly. Hell if I know why, but once I realized what I was doing-thanks to a discussion with my DS doc- I was more aware of how I was eating and it all fell into place. I went the route of buying baby spoons, sippy cups and all that **** but never used it. *lol*
Julie B.
on 12/1/11 1:22 am - OH
I used to inhale my food. I think its a societal thing. We are always in a rush. The DS immediately cured me of that bad habit. I physically cannot do it. I didn't practice before hand, really there is no need to if you don't want (although its admiral that you are!).

Post op I was eating so much of nothing it was rediculous. Everything is so swollen that one or two bites of mush was all I could eat at a time because I got this painful full feeling in my chest. I will say it is frustrating as hell coming from someone who enjoyed a good burger or whatever to only be able to eat one or two bites of something.

I DO chew more then I used to. Again, the swelling in the early weeks made me realize it was a wise thing to do. I've only over ate twice and barfed. I will at all costs avoid doing that, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out quickly enough! Lol!

I'm a bit self conscious when I go out to eat with others now. I am the last one eating / picking at my food. They are always waiting on me! But I am usually about done anyway after five or six bites still. I just wrap it up and take it home for later. One meal bought out can feed me a whole day and then some. It's amazing how little I eat now!

SW - 373 / CW - 179 / GW - 160

Valerie G.
on 12/1/11 2:25 am, edited 12/1/11 3:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I just did mental reminders to slow the heck down.
I also let my hubby fix my plate. His eyes can judge my stomach capacity much better than my own.
Sometimes I look at him like he's jipping me out of good stuff. He says "you can have more if you want", just like I was a child, and dammit, he's almost always right.

He has to be right about one thing -- I get dibs on everything else.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

2011cla
on 12/1/11 3:04 am
HI, I started changing my diet years before I thought of the DS. I went from plates of food to a plate of food and tried to stay with healthy snacks. (did not work always but just had to be presistant.)
later I reduced the plate from a 10in to a 8in plate. I still did not lose weight at doing this. So the Dr. had suggested a surgery. I looked into that and then the months gefore surgery I went to a 6 in and had less on it but would eat 4 or 5 times a day. eventually I got to 4 everyday with lite snacks.
then the liquid diet was hard to dobut, making the shakes thick helped me. then after surgery I had not been able to stomack the meal replacements after 2 months so I went to just trying to eat the protein I am to have. I am only 3 months after surgery recently I started eating to much and that does cause the upchuck if I do it to fast. but if I eat slow I can feel that it hurts just before the problem. I use cheese sticks for snacks since the ones I eat have 8g on protien. 100g a day is hard to get but I do my best and don't seem to have any real problem.

anyway, in short just put small amounts on your plate and wait awhile to get more. it worked for me.

butercup
on 12/1/11 5:47 am - Kennewick, WA
You don't need to practice that now imo. Because honestly, you don't have a clue what the real thing is going to be like until you have it. You will just know what to eat, how much, and when to stop. If you pu**** you throw up and you'll know better for next time.

You also don't have to really pulverize your food with a DS. Perhaps when you first start eating more solids, but again, your body will let you know what it likes and doesn't like.
Julie R.
on 12/1/11 9:49 am - Ludington, MI
 Dang, Heidi - you took the words out of my mouth.   You really don't need to practice.   Your stomach is going to revolt BIG TIME as a new post-op.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

goodkel
on 12/1/11 10:38 am
You don't have to chew your food to a pulp. And early out, you'll be lucky to be able to get in two teaspoons per "meal."  Eating too quickly won't be a problem because you won't be able to eat much of anything at all.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

provolisa
on 12/2/11 5:11 am - Provo, UT
Thanks, Everyone!

I really learned a lot. I am not going to worry about practising anymore. I realized that all of you were right. This is my old life, with my old way of relating to food. By starting out with liquids and then mush, and in such small amounts, I will be going through a whole new learning curve.

That will be my new life, and my innards will be different, and I will learn the new way to relate to food as I go along.

Thanks Everyone, for all of the great answers! I learned a lot that I didn't think to ask!
~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

happydsr
on 12/2/11 7:08 am