Really?!?! Main Forum Post

z85sparty
on 11/30/11 8:02 am - Mason, MI
 I really do not like to "start" things; however, reading her post and the responses (mainly by other fellow RYN patients) I was more than annoyed!!!  Valerie G. said it pretty darn good, but I also follow up and posted!  

I really cannot believe the advice like
: "I would like to add, that PLEASE consider to have this people out of your house at least one week before you have your surgery, and do not let them come back afterards."

It's like they want her to shut herself in her own little world!  For a lot of us who have hubby's, Boyrfiends/Girlfriends, kids, family or roommate living with we do not get to ban every "naughty" food from the house!  My goodness Grilfriend... learn some damn self-control!!! 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4476539/company/

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

PatXYZ
on 11/30/11 9:27 am
Interesting post, I went and read the original post as well. It reminded me of a support group meeting I went to recently for WLS patients (pre and post op) at the hospital I am having surgery at in the new year. The group is mostly RNYers and a few VSGers and it was a common and perfecly accepted idea by the post-ops that they should have the power to ban any and all non WLS friendly foods from their home. Period.

I thought that was crazy and a recipe for a cranky spouse. I agree it won't hurt to improve your family's eating across the board, but unless the rest of the family has the same obesity and special post-op dietary needs, it simply doesn't make sense. My husband is slim and runs or swims 6 days a week - he can eat all the chocolate he wants and he has it as a treat after work every single day. How would it be fair for me to tell him he can't have that at home anymore? It's ridiculous.

The people in the group were likening it to an alcoholic not having alcohol in their house and I objected on two grounds; 1) It's not the same thing, you can give up alcohol but you cannot give up food. If there is an addiction present it has to be dealt with in a non-abstinent manner that makes the comparison moot, and 2) My alcoholic father who has not had a drink in 22 years has a fully stocked liquor cabinet and several bottles of wine on hand for guests and my mother's ocasional drinks, so don't tell me every alcoholic can't have booze in their house!
Valerie G.
on 11/30/11 9:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Talk about a girl who has misplaced her big-girl panties.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

zuzupetals2u2
on 11/30/11 11:10 am - Sedona, AZ
I would never ASK that of my household but I have asked them to hide the sweets as I know it is my big weakness (but they forget & dont really comply most of the time anyway) but it sure would be NICE if they weren't around to tempt me. I would offer to do the same for someone in my boat but then I am known for being overly-nice sometimes. At the start of a program I am not sure if it is asking too much . . .I was willing to keep liquor out of the house for years for my alcoholic husband's sobriety sake but then I was not much of a drinker . .

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Miss Liss
on 12/1/11 12:10 am
That post annoyed me as well.  Firstly, it annoyed me because she apparently has food issues like emotional/stress eating.  WLS doesn't fix that.  Sounds like she needs to be in therapy before she has surgery because the fact remains that food is everywhere.  And it will continue to be everywhere after she has surgery.  Secondly, it is very self-centered to think that the people in your life need to change their eating habits because you have a problem.  NOT!!  I didn't expect my husband and kids to go without what they like to eat because I couldn't have it initially after surgery.  Of course, being 8 years out now, it isn't a problem.  If I want something, I eat it.  The difference is now I eat it in moderation and not the whole bag.  LOL.