how do you take anti inflammatory's???

MsBatt
on 11/30/11 9:38 am
After my DS, I was sent home with Bextra for pain. Bextra is an NSAID, but it's a Cox-II inhibitor, supposedly easier on the stomach lining than the regular Cox-i inhibitors like Advil, Aleve, Motrin, etc.

However---Bextra did NOTHING for my arthritis pain, so I talked with my surgeon and was allowed to take ONE Aleve daily instead, for the first 30 days post-op. After that, I was allowed to take Aleve 'as needed'.

Be careful---you're still healing.
(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 8:42 pm
I believe Bextra was taken off the market (many claimed it didn't do much for pain, also caused other problems). Celebrex is also a Cox II inhibitor. Both will thin the mucosal lining like other NSAIDs leaving the tummy vunerable to ulceration.

I have a very sensitive stomach and take a prevacid 30mg at the same time as the lowest dose liquid cap ibuprofen or an aleve during horrible pain times (like period), but I always think twice before taking something because of damage I can do to my sensitive tummy.  BTW, it doesn't matter if you take it orally or get an injection of an NSAID. Any med that inhibits prostogladins will thin the mucosal lining of the stomach (i.e. any NSAID).

Just has been said "Be careful, you're still healing".

Hugs,
Ratkity

Hrm.. I think I replied to the wrong post in thread.. oops. Forgive meh! Coffee still activating.
J G.
on 11/30/11 1:41 pm, edited 11/30/11 1:44 am

Have you tried putting one of those hot packs that you warm in the microwave on it? I swear I couldn't live without those things!

Even pre DS, my internist cautioned to only take Advil, etc on a full stomach. Just a snack is not enough.