how do you take anti inflammatory's???

honeybadger 11
on 11/30/11 5:52 am - FL
As some my have read i have been having muscle soreness like pain in my chest and have spoken with my surgeons office and have an appt with my PCP in the morning.

Tylenol wasnt helping so about 30mins after taking my protonix this am i took some advil and that has done the trick.

So my question is can i take advil again tonite and be ok or do i need to take an antacid of some kind with it? If i need another antacid then what kind?

I plan to ask my PCP tomorrow but hes never dealt with a DS pt before and im not sure he will know for sure.

Thanks!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 6:03 am
 Hi, anti-inflammatory are okay to take.
Unless they upset your stomach you don't need to take an antacid with it. Just don't overdo them.

I have arthritis and I take Aleve twice a day everyday, as long as you stick with the normal amount there should be no problem.
honeybadger 11
on 11/30/11 6:42 am - FL
Thanks Inge! Im just a newbie so worried about breaking my new parts:)

PS let me know the next time you go to one of the WLS meeting in Orlando. I would love to go with you. Or even when im healed up meet up for protein drinks;) hehe

~Jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 6:42 am
I would ask your surgeon. 

The reason is that they make the vsg portion of the DS so much smaller now and you are still in the healing process.  The last thing you want is to burn a hole in your new tummy!

honeybadger 11
on 11/30/11 6:46 am - FL
Thanks m h...i will call in the am and find out what i need to do. I DEFINITELY dont what to burn out my tum!!!

Thanks for all of your help:)

~Jennifer

Julie B.
on 11/30/11 7:05 am - OH
I just talked to Dr. Maguire about this today. I used to take Aleve twice a day for osteoarthritis in my knees. He asked how my knees were doing (post 30lb loss this month) I told him I haven't taken any since surgery, but if I needed to, could I?

He kinda made a face but said yes, since I am taking nexium (or any PPI) that it 'should' be ok if it wasn't on a prolonged regular basis. He gave me the impression that since I was so early out he wouldn't want to see me taking them routinely right now, but in the future there really isn't much of a concern.

SW - 373 / CW - 179 / GW - 160

honeybadger 11
on 11/30/11 8:32 am - FL
Thanks Julie. Ive been leary of Motrin for years because i had the band before for 5 yrs. I think in 5 yrs i probably took Motrin 10 times. And it was always for major pain the Tylenol was not cutting. So i totally understand being super cautious with our new tummy's! Thanks again for the input:)

~Jennifer

provolisa
on 11/30/11 7:22 am - Provo, UT
 I take celebrex daily for my bone-on-bone knees, and I never thought about this. I knew we could take them, but I hadn't thought about these concerns. I will be sure to put this on my list of questions to ask at my preop class.

Thanks,
Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

BeagleMama
on 11/30/11 11:28 am
Hi Lisa,

I am scheduled for Dec. 21st, and was told today to lay off all aspirin and nsaids for two weeks prior. Has your surgeon given you similar information regarding Celebrex?
BeagleMama
gak
on 11/30/11 9:21 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Using it wisely and carefully is usually okay. Just do not take it too close together.  I take generic advll and tylenol in a combo as needed. 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm