Blood donation - able to?

Elia-B
on 11/29/11 10:48 pm
I donated blood maybe 6 months after my DS surgery but haven't since.  I tried to again at a later time but wasn't able to because my iron was low.

Is anybody able to keep their iron (and anything else relevant) stable enough that they are able to continue donating blood after their DS?

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 1:19 am - San Jose, CA
I'm sure there are some who can, but the general rule is, no more blood donations after DS because we already have issues keeping our iron levels up.  I was a frequent donor (type A neg) prior to the DS, but unless one of my kids needed blood (they are both A pos), I have not and will not donate.  I need iron infusions now to keep my ferritin in range.
Valerie G.
on 11/30/11 3:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I was told never again.  Even if my iron was okay before, that donating could drop it down.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

airbender
on 11/30/11 8:38 am
if you would like to donate, suggest not donating whole blood but instead components, a pheresis donation,ie platelets, which would not interfer with iron, or your protein levels
dustydeer
on 11/30/11 9:04 am
I know I can't give with the DS and all my recent issues, but they came to work the other day and I read the requirements out of curosity.

At 5'1, I'd need to be at least 133 to give. I thought, how odd? I am too small to give blood???

Anyone know if that's always been a requirement?

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

gak
on 11/30/11 9:09 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I was told no to blood donations post - DS.. I have always been anemic and only qualified once when I was a late teen.. been anemic ever other time I tried even pre-DS, so I have not qualified

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Julie R.
on 11/30/11 10:26 am - Ludington, MI
 I called the Red Cross on this to be sure.   If you've ever had an iron infusion - nope - you may no longer donate.    SInce I have to have them every year to eighteen months now, I sadly, no longer qualify.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Elia-B
on 12/1/11 3:03 am
Wow!   I wonder why that disqualifies a person.

Julie R.
on 12/1/11 4:06 am - Ludington, MI
The infusions work hard to build our iron stores up, and donating blood drops them back down.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 1:22 am
My DS Doc said no more donating blood as it can make me anemic