OT: PTH, Calcium, vit D and hypoparathyroidism?! OH MY!

determineddanni
on 11/29/11 8:22 am
I am totally on upping the D and I am picking up K2 tonight! :) What dose of K2?

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 10:02 am
I started at 50mcg of K2 and am up to 250 (via Vitalady). Start with a dose easily obtained at your local vitamin store since you haven't had your DS yet.

Hugs,
Ratkity
fullhousemom
on 11/29/11 8:41 am
I thought that my post was stupid so I deleted it!  I am way over my head when I try to figure out the two vitamin D levels out and how it works with calcium, etc.  How much D is toxic?  And you are right about how much our D varies in the winter vs. the summer because of the weather.  My PCP has MS and has done a lot of research -they say there is a direct correlation with the high levels of MS in the snow belt areas vs. down south in the the sunny areas.  She tested mine on a whim and was surprised how low it was.  I don't have enough history to give you any advice. 

It wasn't three months later.  It was a year and three months later!  I didn't get my D tested during that time.

Sorry I wasn't any help.
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 10:02 am, edited 11/29/11 10:03 am
 hi, if you are taking DRY D 3 you can take high doses "You will NOT overdose on it". This is NOT like the oilbased D at all.
Before my DS I was also low and I took the Dry D3 50,000 4 days a week, for 3 month and it went from 28 to 50 in that time. 

fullhousemom
on 12/2/11 10:49 am
Thanks for the information Inge.  I believe I was taking an oil based D and not a dry D.  I now am taking D drops that I got from my surgeon's office.  I get my D tested in about a month.

Dry, oil based....I have heard many words about vitamins that I never even knew existed!  I have lots to learn in the next few months!
sandyv63
on 11/29/11 8:28 am - Naples, FL
100mcg should do it. You can double that if you need to but try this dose first.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Carol P.
on 11/29/11 9:55 am
 I am a pre-op and when my labs came back my D was low and I have been taking 4000IU of D3 for a couple of years.  My surgeon told me to up it to 5000IU, but I'm going to up it to 10k because I don't see 1k making much of a difference.
Blank Out
on 11/29/11 10:21 am
 I was also very low in D before surgery.  My surgeon had me taking 10,000 IUs daily!  And, it still only went up a few points.  Now, I take 100k per day, and it's slowly going up!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

determineddanni
on 11/29/11 1:53 pm
Well gosh! My doctor is always tip-toeing around my D like I am going to overdose or something. He gave me the 'eye' when I upped it myself to 5000 ui's. I wonder if he will have the balls to be my post DS PCP.... I hope so. I really dont' wanna find another PCP but if he is to timid it just might not work out. Not many choices here in Montana.

I am upping the D3, K2 and taking protein shakes daily as a pre-op! I want to be healthy as I can before going under the knife. Two weeks to do it..... yikes

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

linda1814
on 11/30/11 4:10 am
Your PCP is going to continue to give you "the eye" once you show him what you supplement once you're post-op.  My PCP and I go over my list of supplements every visit and he said that I had to be wrong when I wrote my doses.  It took several visits before he stopped questioning me.  You might also find that your PCP or the lab staff also give you "the eye" when you request certain labs.  Mine did but I figured I didn't have a DS only to let someone else prevent me from not being as healthy as possible by not allowing me the tests that I need.  You'll need to advocate for yourself but it sounds like you already know how.  Keep it up!  Really stay on top of your supplementing and labs.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.  The holidays might seem like a hard time to go through with it but you're really giving yourself the best present that you could ask for.  

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com