New Member! Almost 1 yr post-DS and almost too skinny...

z85sparty
on 11/30/11 4:43 am - Mason, MI
 I would suggest what some others have and that is to increase your carb in take.  Make sure you are also keeping your protein intake up!  That is essential in staying healthy or helping you recover!

I am always so amazed at the fact that with all the vitamins we take, we can still get colds and the flu!

By the way... How many grams of protein do you eat a day and are you drinking any type of protein shake?

Not that I am a health expert, but while training for my marathon's and such I drink 3 double scoop (Whey Isolate) Protein Shakes (50 grams of Protein per shake) per day!  This really helps me built and retain muscle and I don't loose weight at all!  Since I had PS 3 weeks and I've been lazying around I've knocked it back to 1 (maybe 2) double scoop shakes per day.  (This is all on top of the normal protein I intake every day through food.)  I've noticed that since knocking my shakes back, even though I haven't been working out I've begin dropping weight.  I am down 11 pounds since sugery and 2 pounds lower than my all time low weight.  Maybe REALLY REALLY uping your protein intake and adding in some carbs will help! 

(If you don't know about it, search for Lori's Coffee Protein Shake Receipe here on OH, because it really is the BEST protein shake EVER!!!!) 

GOOD LUCK!!! 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

Alusien
on 11/30/11 5:13 am - Waxahachie, TX
Taking notes here...  it's so nice to have found people with personal experience!

I have never been able to tolerate any of the protein shakes for some reason, even just the tasteless stuff mixed in with smoothies.  Any of the sweeter pre-made drinks make me throw up and I can't get the smoothies down fast enough before they separate.

(I know, I know... I'm a big pain in the butt..)

I'll give the coffee mix a try, though.  Can't hurt, right?  I'm always open to new recipes and willing to make multiple attempts at incorporating things into my diet.  I've been trying to get sweet drinks and small portions of chocolate back in for about six months now, but it still always ends very very badly.

The one thing I did find that was somewhat easy to drink down is the Isopure Green Tea.  It's pretty bitter, though, but that can be resolved by drinking it over ice.  Unfortunately, the new job doesn't have an ice machine like my old job did so instead of having it all day to sip on I'm reduced to drinking it at home in the evenings.  

I had to threaten to dismember the kids last month when they drank my whole case of it.  It's definitely not cheap.

My labs were spot on last month, except for a snidge high on iron.   Daily protein ranges from 90g to 120g via food consumption.

My shoulder bag includes a pouch of nut & jerky (no preservatives, low salt) snacks while I'm out and about. I've gotten stuck out on a remote location a few times and the gastro-intestinal lashbacks from skipping a meal or two wasn't worth repeating.

Semi-related: Whenever I drink... in the name of vitamins I switched from Captain/Coke (cane sugar variety) to Bloody Marys made with spicy V8. There's not the huge sugar shock & crash from the rum & coke, and you get a full serving of veggies in.  You know, according to the commercials, at least.  The recipe I cobbled together is almost like drinking a glass of salad blended with steak. Very savory!
Julie R.
on 11/30/11 9:41 am - Ludington, MI
 How tall are you?  I'm 5'4 and 125 pounds and look fine.  My sister is 5'10 and 125 pounds and looks horrible.   Seriously though, if I had a dollar for every person who came on these boards worried that they were too thin, they found out they'd healthily rebounded a year or so later to a happy weight, I'd be rich.   I got down to as low as 116 pounds (for about two day) and looked pretty scrawny for a while.   I've been sitting at this same weight, give or take a few pounds in either direction, for 3.5 years now.

Sometimes, you can make the situation even worse by adding more carbs.   Many of them at how far out you are make you poop more, which makes you lose more.   Now, I WISH that was the case! If you're going to add carbs, make sure it's carbs that don't cause you to poop.  For me, that equals rice, potatoes and corn.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Alusien
on 11/30/11 1:28 pm - Waxahachie, TX
I'm 5'6 and 125lbs.

I'm fine with my size now, but it's the continued accellerated loss that's kind of twigging my paranoia.  Up until I got the flu it was down to a really reasonable trickle.  Now it seems that no matter what I do, the status of the bowels, or my caloric intake, I'm constantly losing 2lbs per week.  I haven't been losing at that high of a rate in almost two months.

Also I'm just really tired of having to tell seemingly everyone that yes, I'll gain some back. Soonish. Yes, I eat plenty. Yes, I know I'm scrawny now. And bony. And I don't look like myself anymore.

Thanks for pointing it out. Again.

Part of my weird mental issue is that I was NEVER a skinny kid. I went from toddler husky sizes to a a size 14 with the legs hemmed up.  I am quite literally in uncharted territory here.  The last time I weighed 125lbs was approximately third or fourth grade.  The fact that I can feel my BONES is really really really disturbing to me. It's a bit of a new phenomenon.

With the DS, Hashimoto's, and a missing gallbladder, my tolerance for processed junk and preservatives is pretty low. Any sort of carb adjusting would have to be on the healthy side of things, as anything over a bite or two of junk makes me  nauseous and gassy.  Like.. social pariah levels of butt-funk.

As it is, carbs make me pretty universally gassy anyways so I try to limit them as a general rule.  The sub today was a treat and the rest of the household is definitely paying for my indulgence.