Calcium Citrate drink mix/crystals

PatXYZ
on 11/28/11 11:17 pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the BA or Celebrate calcium citrate drink mix or crystals? This seems to me to be a great way to get my calciumin during the first 6 weeks or so when swallowing bigger, or a lot of, pills might be difficult. Each serving is 500mg calcium citrate, so I figured drinking a couple of those a day would be fine as long as I take my iron at bedtime, and I'd work up to adding extra calcium citrate pills (another 1000mg) in my overall vitamin regimen. Any feedback from people who've tried them?
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 11:25 pm
I did get some free samples and tried the Celebrate ones, they aren't bad.  Also look at Up-cal ( I think that is the name), They make some crystals that some people say tastes like 'Pixie Dust' (do you remember that?) and may be cheaper.

What I did at first, because I had already purchased my supplements was dissolve the calcium in a little bit of water and swallowed them.  I am all about the quality first and then the $$$. lol

PatXYZ
on 11/29/11 5:22 am
I didn't realize they would dissolve that easily - great idea!
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 5:32 am
You will want any supplement you take in tablet form to dissolve in around 5 minutes, anything that doesn't probably isn't getting absorbed properly.  You can avoid this by taking everything in capsule form. (or liquid, etc.)

teachmid
on 11/29/11 5:10 am - OKC, OK
I use the Upcal because I have not been able to get down calcium pills for several years without gagging and choking. I get it through Amazon,
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

PatXYZ
on 11/29/11 5:22 am
Thanks, I will check it out!
fullhousemom
on 11/29/11 6:13 am
 Do you have any good ideas on how to take the upcal?  I just got some, and was going to mix it with a little water and drink. I would appreciate any suggestions!
teachmid
on 11/29/11 7:22 am - OKC, OK
I put a scoop in every protein shake.....no flavor. I tried it in hot protein drinks and it kind of clumped. I also just dump a scoopful in my mouth and swallow.

I tried emptying a capsule of Vitalady's calcium into a shake and didn't care for it.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

zuzupetals2u2
on 11/29/11 5:35 am - Sedona, AZ
I ordered the bariatric Advantage Calcium Crystals only to disciver they AREN'T calcium citrate but are Calcium lactate-gluconate. (They are 600 mg but I dont know if that is elemental.) I mentioned this to a couple of osteoporis discussions in a thread yesterday and neither person knew what that was-?? So I dont know yet- there is an 800 number on the jar to call with questions but so far I haven't. 

I do have the Celebrate chewable calciums but got very tired of the taste. Do they have crystals too? I will have to check. I do have the CalUPD calcium packets that have 500 elemental in each so am doing those sometimes & also the big blue capsules from Vitalady which are calcium citrate with 300 elemental per capsule. I also have some of the chewables from Celebrate but again the taste got old. I had some liquid I recently disposed of that was pretty gross. I couldnt get the Vitalady capsules down at first but now I can but I like a variety.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Elia-B
on 11/29/11 8:08 am
 Be careful of the calcium chews.  I was taking them for awhile and got a bunch of new cavities.  The dentist they were cavities consistent with something getting stuck to your teeth for awhile.  After a detailed discussion of what types of things I was eating, the caclium chews became suspect # 1.