Depression triggered by sudden, rapid wt loss?

Elia-B
on 11/28/11 11:16 pm
I got some much needed help recently on my diet from all of you guys.  And the result has been that I lost 7.6 lbs in 8 days.  Starting yesterday, I started feeling a bit depressed... not cry in my soup depressed... more just Blue.  It could just be PMS.  Has anyone else experienced this from rapid wt loss?

Elizabeth N.
on 11/28/11 11:32 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Oh yeah, it's very common and probably hormonal.

Elia-B
on 11/28/11 11:36 pm
Ya.. that's what I figured.  Combo between the sudden drop and maybe PMS.

Helps keeping it n perspective.  Last night it dinged for me that maybe it was PMS.  Today it occurred to me could have been from the sudden wt drop, also affecting hormones.

So glad this is temporary.

girlygirl1313
on 11/28/11 11:36 pm - Davidson, NC
Yep.  Going through it right now in fact.  ~GG

Elia-B
on 11/28/11 11:37 pm

You have any tricks for alleviating it?  I had some chocolate yesterday and I honest to goodness felt a temporary mood lift. 

girlygirl1313
on 11/28/11 11:48 pm - Davidson, NC
 Not really, other than acknowledging it for what it is, know that it will pass, give yourself a break and know that when your period starts the natural release of progesterone will make you feel a ton better.  I am PMSing and I've dropped over 5 pounds this week.  I have other aggravating factors involved BUT if I do drop any weight the most is lost usually just before I have my period.  ~GG

Elia-B
on 11/28/11 11:56 pm
Good to know!  Thanks!  :)

callmeEJ
on 11/29/11 2:44 am - Minneapolis, MN
I go through cycles like of depression/irritation and anger that correlate with my weight loss. My husband tells me he knows when I'm losing weight because I get very cranky at him!
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
Elia-B
on 11/29/11 3:29 am
LOL.  I feel for you and your hubby both.  I've had I think 3 periods of anger where I just felt vile in my own skin.  It ain't easy to play nice when you feel that much Grrrrrrrr!!!

As the day has moved on, I've started to feel a bit better.  I did some imagery where I saw myself attaining something I've been wanting and, for the moment at least, I believe that has helped to boost my spirits.  Also...  maybe the fog is just getting  a chance to lift a little bit.  I felt like going back to bed long after I got to work this morning but felt so bad that it didn't seem to have any merit, with the thought it wouldn't help anyway.  lol  ...  Now that's sad when you're too bummed to even wish you could go back to bed.

callmeEJ
on 11/29/11 6:11 am - Minneapolis, MN
I'm glad things started looking up for you as the day went on. Sometimes just getting out of bed is half the battle, isn't it? And when it just feels like NO ONE understands how freakin' TERRIBLE you feel, and you just want to bite them for being such pains in the asses... yea. BTDT! I know it sounds trite, but just keep pushing yourself as much as you can. It WILL get better.

About 6 weeks after my DS, I decided to back on anti-depressants after having been off them for a couple years. I needed something to help even out my mood. It's helped immensely. I've had a few breakthrough blues and fits of anger, but overall my mood has been a lot more even since going back on them. I think it's slowed down my weight loss a little, but I'd rather be sane and fatter than crazy and skinny.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011