3 weeks out and leveling off I hope.

DianaRR
on 11/28/11 8:44 am - CA
It sounds great that you are focusing on water. My surgeon says water is the most important, then protein.
I was able to take my supplements at 3 weeks--have you tried to take them recently?

Julie R.
on 11/28/11 9:19 am - Ludington, MI
 Your recovery sounds textbook.    Good deal!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Kingy
on 11/28/11 9:59 am - Hobart, Australia
Right with you on the fluids at almost 4 weeks out I'm just getting up there with them.  I have had to add cordial to the water as the taste of it is very off putting at the moment but perhaps that will change in time.  Glad to hear you are feeling better in any case, keep smiling.

sandyv63
on 11/28/11 10:10 am - Naples, FL
Hey Switch Sister!  I think you're doing great!  I seem to be a bit ahead of you as far as trying foods but you are way ahead of me in the weight loss category. I am still the same weight I was after one week out. Talk about an early stall. But I don't care. My body will lose this effort to hold on to the weight this time and I damned well know it.

I think I am going to have to go to the supermarket tomorrow because I can't seem to find anything I like to drink (eating isn't much better.) I know I am not geting my 64 ounces in but I am getting enough apparently because I feel fine and my urine is not dark. I just don't like the flavor of things anymore but I understand this is temporary (just like that new body odor thing I have going on) so I am not stressing. I can't get all my vites in yet but I get something in every day so I have to be content with that. Eating is a chore because it isn't the same now that everything tastes odd to me. I tried the turkey bacon I mentioned to you today for the first time and it went down just fine. I had three strips for breakfast and I had to stop after 2 1/2 strips until my stomach emptied a bit. I had three more for dinner and I was able to eat all three without a problem. It is sitting well. I had a protein shake for lunch and I am finding it more and more difficult to choke those down. I really need them too so this concerns me. I am using chocolate stack with half and half and a little water and it does not usually affect my lactose intolerance but it did give me a bit of gas today.  Nothing awful though and I am noticing that when I do get an episode of gas or diarrhea, which fortunately is rare, it doesn't last very long. I am sure this is because of my newly rearranged guts. Whatever the reason I am happy the suffering is over relatively quickly.

My mood is ok and I think improving now that someone told me the new body smell is temporary, hehehe. I seem to be sensitive to smells and I agree with you, trying to figure out this eating thing is a challenge. I sort of set up this seemingly arbitrary schedule of eating and it seems to be working. I am amazed at how little I can eat and still not lose the weight (yet...) The body (my body) is truly amazingly efficient. Too damned efficient. Damn these caveman genes...
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
J G.
on 11/28/11 2:53 pm

Sandy, don't worry about an early stall.  I've seen many ppl talk about that.  I came out of this surgery with a real uber nose.  I still have it.  DH compares me to a hound dog.  LOL.  Good news that the turkey bacon worked for you.  Bet that tasted gooooood. 

-  Jenny

sandyv63
on 11/28/11 10:16 pm - Naples, FL
It was just ok. Then the smell from the paper plate I had it on started to nauseate me just a bit which was very odd. I usually LOVE that smoked smell.

What part of Florida are you from?
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
beemerbeeper
on 11/28/11 10:39 am - AL
Kristi,

You are doing great.  Just keep trying fluids and you will be feeling better really soon.  Week 3 was my worst week. 

I'm really happy for you.

~Becky

provolisa
on 11/28/11 11:25 am - Provo, UT
 I would just like to say that I really, really appreciate you guys, who are having normal recoveries, posting and describing them. For a while there, there was a flurry of people with complications posting, while normal folk did not. It was kind of depressing. I know that we need to be armed with information on how it can go if you have a complication, but it is really great to get reports on how it should go, as well!

I know you are reporting so that you can get feedback from the vets, and that is great. But you are also providing a service to us pre-ops out here!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

fullhousemom
on 11/28/11 12:32 pm
 Shakes didnt work for me but Kirmy had a nice post about them and I will try them later. Try a protein bar. I have been eating the peanut butter chocolate balance bars. They are good and you can nibble a little at a time. 
J G.
on 11/28/11 2:43 pm
Kristi, sounds like your doing well.  Sorry about the fatique, but, hey, your body knows that you just had major surgery. You may feel pretty tired for a couple of months.  When you start out gradually on your vites it will actually help you to get in more fluids - a sneaky little technique.  Do you like greek yogurt? or egg salad?  It's probably time to get in some proteins that are soft foods.  Try to get out and do something for a short while, it will help your mood.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  Congrats on the 23 lbs.  That must make you happy! 

- Jenny