3 weeks out and leveling off I hope.

momx4
on 11/28/11 7:27 am - TX
So today I am 3 weeks post op.  I am off all pain meds, still can't sleep in the bed but I feel by next week I will be.  I still have a week left of lovenox shots then that will end.  I haven't had any nausea, per se but I have had alot of days of just "blah" where I didn't know if I was hungry or w hat my tummy just felt "weird".  My diarrhea has leveled off and my bm's are just more like a cat now....... I took advice from another post and bought the walmart brand of crystal light, and I like it....but I am afraid to report that I am not quite getting 64oz yet.  I am trying and I get close, but not there yet.  I am not dehydrated that I know of (thank god) although the skin on my legs says differently (can you say alligator).

I haven't tried the harder foods yet (bacon, harder meats, etc) but I am somewhere in between mushy and solid.  I'm not tracking protein yet or taking vites because I am trying so hard to get the 64oz that I am focusing on that.  I was told somewhere along the way that I could wait til about a month out before I truly worried about protein or vites.  I have the DS starter pack from vitalady ready to go....but again I am still so overwhelmed trying to get fluids that I just can't deal with vites right now.

My mood i**** or miss which again I am glad I read was normal!!  I have lost 23lbs so far so hopefully I am doing the right things!   My biggest issue now would be the fatique!
Kristi                
Its a Secret
on 11/28/11 7:48 am
Lord, I want to be up to mushy.....  LOL 

glad you like the walmart drink mix....I drink that or powerade zero grape.  Are you counting the liquids in your protein drinks?  That 8 oz of milk or soy milk or water also counts toward your 64.  If you come close, don't beat yourself up, just try harder the next day...you will get there!

So happy your doing so well :)

me

HeatherLynn
on 11/28/11 7:53 am - TX
 Just here to say hello and let you know I am cheering you on. I can barely get in my 64, but I am getting it in. I still am not really having any BM...so count yourself lucky there (in my opinion). 

J G.
on 11/28/11 2:26 pm
Heather, hmmmm... let's talk about the no BM's.  What are you eating and how much?  How much are you getting in daily on the fluids? 
HeatherLynn
on 11/28/11 8:44 pm - TX
On November 28, 2011 at 10:26 PM Pacific Time, Jenny G. wrote:
Heather, hmmmm... let's talk about the no BM's.  What are you eating and how much?  How much are you getting in daily on the fluids? 
 Well, I am getting in my 64oz a day in water and other non-caffenated fluids. Yesterday this is what I ate:

chili with sour cream and cheese (about 3 tablespoons worth)
slice of roast beef delil meat with cream cheese rolled up
2 tbs peanut butter on a cracker
1/2 a fried egg (yellow runny)
1 oz turkey breast meat
V8
2 bites of a chocolate bar (bad, I know)

Sunday:
Laughing cow cheese with a few fritos
chili with sour cream and cheese (about 3 tablespoons worth)
J G.
on 11/29/11 4:02 am
Okay, you ate a lot more on Monday than you did on Sunday.  To get something to come out the poop chute ya gotta put some food in.  and water, and fats.  So if you keep eating like Monday and nothing is happening in a few days, its time to call your surgeon.  Beyond that you can start thinking about getting in more fat, and maybe miralax, ducolax, mag oxide, fiber etc.  It sounds like your not really constipated now, just haven't been eating much.  What do you think??? 
HeatherLynn
on 11/29/11 4:07 am - TX
On November 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM Pacific Time, Jenny G. wrote:
Okay, you ate a lot more on Monday than you did on Sunday.  To get something to come out the poop chute ya gotta put some food in.  and water, and fats.  So if you keep eating like Monday and nothing is happening in a few days, its time to call your surgeon.  Beyond that you can start thinking about getting in more fat, and maybe miralax, ducolax, mag oxide, fiber etc.  It sounds like your not really constipated now, just haven't been eating much.  What do you think??? 
 Hahaha, it didn't post my whole post...I ate way more Sunday than Monday. I will keep trying. I did have a little movement today, so we shall see. I need to get in more fat I guess. 
fullhousemom
on 11/28/11 7:58 am
Your recovery seems like an exact replica of mine!  I didn't set a goal of 64 oz, but I did make sure I drank lots of water.  After a while, I swear I could taste the chemicals in the water.  I started adding a little lemonade mix to help during those times.  That said, when I went back to my surgeons, he said NO NO!  That chemically taste has since passed, and I am back to drinking plain water with very few problems.

I also had the mini-depression going on, and then, one day it was gone.  Keep busy and force yourself to go to the mall and walk or shop or get with friends.  I think getting out of the house really helped me to snap out of my blah state.  As tired and down as I felt, getting out was always the best thing for me.  When I was out, I actually had moments when I would forget about my surgery.  Sitting at home, my DS was always "there."

I am glad you are doing well and I hope things continue to look go well for you!  23 lbs!  YAY!!!
Julie R.
on 11/28/11 9:18 am - Ludington, MI
 I too could taste the chemicals in water!   I still do not love water as I used to.   Dr. L is pretty weird about his aversion to artificial sweeteners.   I say if a sprinkle in your drink makes you drink more, go for it.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

J G.
on 11/28/11 2:29 pm
I agree with Julie.  If a little Crystal Light or whatever is going to help you get your fluids in, at first, go for it.