Fabulous Labs!!!

duncans
on 11/28/11 1:33 am
I have worked hard to find the right regimen for optimal values without tearing up my butt.

Calcium  9.7 (9.1)
PTH         40  (134)
25 dihydroxy 117 (43)
Total protein  7.2 (6.7)
prealbumin  34.8 (30)
albumin        4.7  (4.0)
phosphorus 4.5
magnesium 2.2

Ferritin 55.7 (64)
Iron      84
TIBC    293

The PTH / Vit D improvement occurred after I stacked Vit K2 MK4, traded out some of my Cacium Citrate for Calcium Acetate  and paid attention to all of the elements that support protein ( build a better transport system!)  I am over the top happy with this turn around!
I received a Venofer series 12 months ago, initial rslt: 96, 6 months post 66 and expected to continue to drop at that same trend rate. Not so!  Perhaps I am absorbing better now. I just don't know.
My next plan is to add Folate and , once again, try Proferrin.

Any comments / advice welcome. My PCP is freaking out re: my Vit D and Vit B12  levels "TOXIC!!!"  I have not previously broken out the B's. How many DSer's out there do this? I'd really rather keep it as simple as I can. 65+ pills a day is a lot to schedule / swallow.

Elizabeth N.
on 11/28/11 5:36 am - Burlington County, NJ
HURRAY!!!!!

I would ask the doc since when a very modestly out of range D level could be "toxic," and what exactly does this "toxicity" look like? I have something bookmarked somewhere about some kind of reaction in rats whose levels reached umpteen hundred times the upper range, blah blah blah, but I think I have it on a different device. Try looking on Google Scholar for "vitamin D toxicity" and see what you find. Maybe do the same on B12 toxicity. What's your B12 level?

duncans
on 11/28/11 8:21 am
B12 is 1100.

I did ask her to justify her reaction. She said that she would have to look it up! I told her that I was happy with those #'s and not worried re: toxicity. She thinks that I am a wild one.

MajorMom
on 11/28/11 6:31 am - VA
Congratulations!

D3 looks great. You'd have to be a lot higher than 117 to even be close to toxic. You can read a bit about it on the Vitamin D Council website and they're not even talking dry D3.

You want your B12 to be approaching 2000. Are you there yet?

I take B1, B9 and B12 separately and only need 1 B-complex a week to maintain the others.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

duncans
on 11/28/11 8:23 am
Why separating out the Thiamine? What range are you shooting for?

MajorMom
on 11/28/11 8:41 am - VA
When I was taking B-complex every day the other Bs were way too high but B1 wasn't. So I take 100mg of B1 a day to maintain near the top of the range and keep the other B's there as well with only 1 B-complex a week.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Julie R.
on 11/28/11 8:50 am - Ludington, MI
 Wonderful news!   How much calcium are you taking?   What percent acetate/citrate?  How much K2?  What are you taking to support the protein?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

duncans
on 11/28/11 10:12 am, edited 11/27/11 10:23 pm
Here's my current regimen:

Batch # 1: Calcium citrate 300mg x 3 caps , Mag citrate 500mg x2 caps, Mag Oxide 250 mg caps x2, copper 5 mg

#2: Calcium Acetate 667mg caps x 4, Mag Cit 500 mg caps x 2, Mag Oxide 250 mg caps x 2, Multi vit, Zinc 50 mg, Vit C 1,000
Selenium 200 mcg, Boron 3mg, Vit K2 MK4 30 mcg, Cromega 3 foil pack, CQ10 capsule, Folate 400 mcg

#3: Cal Citratate (doses as above) x 3, Mag Citrate x 2, Mag Oxide x 2

#4: Cal Acetate x 4, Mag Cit x 2, Mag Ox x 2

#5: Calcium Cit. x 3, Mag Cit x 2, Mag Ox. x 2, Zinc 50 mg

#6: Cal Acetate x 4, Mag Cit x 2, Mag Oxide x 2, multivit

#7: Strontium Citrate 300 mg, Mag Ox x 2 (this last batch is only taken abt 4 x a week)

#8: TAKEN @ NIGHT!! Doc's will argue that these need fats to carry them into the blood stream. My labs demonstrate that , if not taken away from all foods, fats just carry them right out my butt!
Vit A 75,000 IU, Vit D3 200,000-250,00 IU (alternate days), Vit E 400IU, Vit K1 1,000mcg, Vit K2 MK7 300mcg
Levothyroxine 250 mcg, Cytomel 5 mcg

I also add DHEA 50 mg abt 3-4 x's q week. More often than that, I have too many hot flashes and start to have acne eruptions. I have come to realize, from reading, how important it is to maximize the boron, selenium , zinc and MK4. No missed doses. I don't understand how they help protein transport Vit D and Calcium. I just remember that it helps. Sorry. I do wish that I were smart enough to impress you, but sadly, I can't!

Susan

I shoot for a minmum of 100 gms protein a day, usually hit 120-140

zuzupetals2u2
on 11/28/11 11:08 am - Sedona, AZ
do you have a situation where you need alot that the VL doesnt have on her list? 

Maybe you are the ones to ask this question to- I recently ordered some calcium crystals someone on here told me about that were tasteless. They are from Bariatric Advantage but upon further looking at the jar it says it is Calcium -as calcium lactate-gluconate-?? It's Greek to me! 

I thought Citrate was the kind to take and I have the blue capsules from the VL as well as candy calciums from Celebrate and also the UPCalD from Amazon. I know it should be elemental also but wonder why the confusion with them all? I cant seem to get all my citrate down as there are so many to take.

My latest labs show my PTH as 64 this time but 45 last time. So I am trending up on that . .Calcium was 9.6 last time and now I am not seeing it on the current one. UGH! I have to tell me PCP what labs to ask for and she missed one I guess. She said all my labs were GREAT of course but I know better . .I am going to put them out on a spread sheet & go back.

Maybe I need a hemotologist? I may send them to VL first I guess.

How do you all learn how to tweak anyway?

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

duncans
on 11/28/11 11:26 am
I don't know anything about calcium crystals.
I do know that cal citrate, cal acetate and cal hydroxyappitate (Spelling?) are all OK for a short gut. Absorption will vary, so follow the lab trend.

I received some negative feedback for using the calcium acetate, 667mg per cap, but 167 mg elemental, as it is used primarily in the renal pt for binding excess phosphorus. My endo said that it was a more readily absorbed calcium.  My labs demonstrate that it is working for me. My phosperous remains stable at 4.5 (2.6-4.6).

Too often people look at their serum calcium and think "it's within normal range, so I'm OK" .
Serum calcium is a very late marker. Your body will steal from your bones and teeth to keep that number looking good. The real indicators are  Parathyroid level and 24 hr urine calcium (which should have a bit of excreted excess calcium ). Vit D level needs to be in range,as well.

My doc's always miss 1-3 of the requested labs, as well. Frustrating, isn't it?