Weight gain

Nicolle
on 11/28/11 2:23 am, edited 11/28/11 2:38 am
I am very sorry to hear of your struggles. The DS does have the highest success rate for people with as much weight to lose as you do. The most weight lost and kept off. The RNY (which is what I imagine you were thinking of when you first posted on the revisions board) will probably get you close to where you want to go (good initial weight loss) but then may not keep you there, as the malabsorption on that surgery lessens over just a couple of years. You may very well be in the same boat you are today. Just more tired and more defeated.

For a qualified person to do what sounds like a complicated revision on you, you need an expert. I vote for Rabkin and Keshishian, both in California. Both have considerable experience in complicated revisions. You are worth a trip.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Mary_J
on 11/29/11 7:12 am
Hi, I'm a VBG revision from a VBG - well, a partial revision. I'm the one Michelle (mh) mentioned in her post. My surgeon was Dr Buchwald at the University of MN - very experience revision surgeon. There ARE times he can take down the VBG, but I wasn't one of them. My VBG was done in the early days of the VBG - I don't think they use the type of band I had put in (it causes excessive adhesions, which was why the 3 experienced revision surgeons I contacted would revise my stomach).

Just the DS intestinal portion took me from 325 to 130 (give or take a couple). My labs are decent, although I diligently supplement, and some decent amounts! I have no issues with any foods or with gas. I'm 4 years out and maintain without any trouble - in fact, I eat more crap now than I've ever eaten in my life.

I had 2 abdominal surgeries before this one, and the adhesions made my innards a MESS! It took Dr B over 8 hours to untangle the mess. My duodenum was entangled/strangulated and purple in color from low blood supply. Dr B is a straight shooter, and he'll tell ya what he will or won't do. At best, a complete DS; somewhere in the middle - my hybrid revision; at worst, he may tell you the best he can do is a long-limb RnY . . . but he'll tell you up front what his (and your) options are.

I was stressed about not getting the DS stomach. But in hindsight, now that I'm where I am, I've got the best! I can eat better than anyone I know, my quantity has never been terribly limited, and I'm still maintaining with ease.

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

Mary_J
on 11/29/11 7:14 am
And, for the record, I do not/did not exercise one iota. I should for reasons other than weight, but I don't (yet!)

Mary_J
on 11/29/11 11:44 am
BTW, all 3 offered me a long-limbed RnY, and I said NO! I'll take my chances with something I could live with.