So you can't tolerate protein shakes hey?

MajorMom
on 11/26/11 11:48 pm - VA
Four years out and I don't have room. I can only eat a few bites of dense protein and I just can't do any more. Could they be making our stomachs smaller than they did a few years ago? I just can't imagine eating enough dense protein to get 100+ grams a day.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

newyorkbitch
on 11/27/11 12:04 am
 I had restriction for the first few years,  and it slowly disappeared and my capacity increased.  I don't think it has anything to do at this point with the size of my stomach when I had surgery.  It took years for my restriction to go away.  

This morning for breakfast I had a turkey and avocado sandwich and a banana and some yogurt.  One thing that helps me eat protein is I make sure there is ready protein in the house all the time,  and I make sure my breakfast has pleny of protein in it,  every day.   I also eat many times during the day.  I drink very little carbonated beverages...just low carbonation sparkling water.  And I don't eat sweets very  much - my sweet tooth went by the wayside a few years after surgery.
HeatherLynn
on 11/26/11 10:45 pm - TX
 I am so grateful for this thread right now. I want to gag when I look at that big bag of protein. I need to get some chocolate. All I have is strawberry now.  I also need to go get some sugar free syrups from Starbucks. Yum. 

Drinking a pink grapefruit nectar right now. I actually like it. 
"Just Elizabeth "
on 11/27/11 5:16 am - Houston, TX
Check out Wal-Mart and World Market for your syrup. I pick mine up at Sam's.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

provolisa
on 11/26/11 11:11 pm - Provo, UT
 I bookmarked this thread. Thank-you, Kirmy, and everyone else who contributes!
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

MajorMom
on 11/26/11 11:53 pm - VA
Protein Coffee

1 - 20 oz shaker cup with wire ball
4 to 6 oz of 1/2 & 1/2, water, or cream, etc.
1 to 1 1/2 scoops of IDS MultiPro Vanilla-Cinnamon protein powder (Champion Nutrition Chocolate, Nectar Cappuccino, Nectar Chocolate, etc.)
{shake} until blended
pour into extra large mug
Add 9 to 10 oz of hot brewed coffee (decaf or reduced caffeine)
{stir}

Add hot liquid to cold liquid to avoid lumps. Keep the protein slurry below 160 degrees.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

dlappin413
on 11/27/11 12:12 am - Woodstock, GA
Thanks, Kirmy.  Good thread.  So far I'm lactose and whey intollerant and I also have trouble with soy protein but, not as much.  I get no gas from the soy but do get the diarrhea.  So, if I'm home and in need to a shake, I'll refer to this thread.  Otherwise, I will be trying to meet my protein needs through the food I eat.  

Always enjoy your posts...
Diana
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

Janine P.
on 11/27/11 1:05 am - Long Island, NY

Kirmy Rocks!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

butercup
on 11/27/11 7:05 am - Kennewick, WA
Janine!  I was just thinking about you yesterday.  :)  I've missed ya.
dustydeer
on 11/27/11 1:07 am
I am a little over 2 yrs out and still need protein shakes. Sometimes it is due to restriction, time, life...

Every time I think I'll be just fine skipping shakes and just eating, I end up protein malnourished. I even had my CC extended. So I think that everyone has to carve their own path through life living with a DS and not compare themselves because no two ds'ers are the same. I have to drink 60-120 grams of protein and eat as well. It is a fact of my life. (I was doing this recently and taking in 120g of protein through TPN just to get my numbers back up)

Thanks for the thread Kirmy. Here's my two cents worth on "tolerating" protein shakes. I understand someone who is 0-6 mons out literally having problems just keeping down a few sips of them. However, it became for me a issue of intake for survival aka it was medicine for my body.

So, if you don't like the taste...time to change it. If you don't like the consistency, time to change that. Get a blender, get assorted liquids to mix, assorted flavors. Treat the protein mix as you would flour in a recipe. I bet if you handed someone a cup of flour mixed with water...they'd tell ya that was nasty, but mix it up into a delicious cake and they'd never know. I only speak from my own experience with it and after my revision, I sat at home on a feeding tube pushing the crap through my gut and thought...I HAVE GOT TO MAKE THIS WORK! So I got creative.

Ideas:
Base: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, fruity shake bases  like nectars
Liquids: Cream, milk, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, coffee, juice
Flavors: SF toranos, SF starbucks, SF davinci, peanut butter, peanut butter flour, cocoa, splenda/equal/stevia, vanilla and assorted other extracts, spices, fruits

The first protein shake I ever loved was 2 scoops choc whey pp, 1 scoops peanut butter flour, cocoa, splenda, almond milk, vanilla, water and a dash of salt.
Here's a lady who has a ton of great recipes to give ya ideas.
theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude