So you can't tolerate protein shakes hey?

kirmy
on 11/26/11 9:31 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I will admit chugging down that much dairy, fat and supplement in one go is like drinking a pork pie.  Here is my cunning plan....

Take a large cup (say a big Star Bucks one) and put three scoops of Champion Nutrition Whey stack isolate in, the chocolate one. Only just cover it with lacto free milk.  Give it a stir until it is a dark brown runny goop with no lumps.  Then filling to 3/4 full with boiling water. Stir like a mad man.  Add a massive dome of full fat squirty cream....let it melt a little then stir it in.  Drink and pretend it is a Starbucks hot chocolate. It tastes surprisingly good for a hot chocolate and you're getting precious fat grams as well as about 60 grams of protein.

Right for the coffee hounds like me. Try Syntrax Medical Plain protein powder.  Plonk two scoops into your cup, a heaped teaspoon of decaf coffee and some milk to cover.  Stir until the protein powder is smooth and free from lumps.  Let it sit for a couple of minutes to absorb the milk and it won't get clumpy. Add ho****er until 3/4 full then add squirty cream/ full fat with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top, Stir and drink and go "aaahhhhhhhhhhhh" after.

Use flavor free protein powder and plonk a scoop into a bowl of Tomato soup and whisk it around until it is all dissolved.  You won't notice anything different except it is slightly thicker. Eat and enjoy there by getting precious fluids and protein. 

Ok it's over to you.  Lay on the recipes for the protein powder newbies. There has to be a way to get this stuff in without wanting to hurl your cookies.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
honeybadger 11
on 11/26/11 10:18 pm - FL
I added unflavored soy protein (cant do anything with lactose in it) to my sugar free pudding mix and made it will lactaid. Between the milk and soy protein i was getting 10gm of protein pre serving. And it was a yummy treat for when you think you are going to have an aneurysm from looking at all the holiday sweet treats! Even doing full liquids i didnt want to be eating a "meal" that didnt have at least 10gm of protein

Love this post! As you well know, besides water, protein is SO important.

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

"Just Elizabeth "
on 11/26/11 10:21 pm - Houston, TX
This is more a summer drink but here you go.

Brew some coffee the night before. You can use decaf if you have to but why waste your watter that way? Put it in the fridge. The next morning put it in your blender. Add protein powder of choice, sweetener, cream (I use whipping cream) and some ice. Blend up your very own at home yummy drink. You can also add sugar free syrup if you want.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

newyorkbitch
on 11/26/11 10:46 pm
 I have not had a protein shake since about 6-8 weeks post-op.  I am 11.5 years post-op now.  I eat a lot of protein...for those who are a few years out....why do you still feel you need protein shakes?
"Just Elizabeth "
on 11/26/11 10:51 pm - Houston, TX
I haven't used them for 2 years now, however some people do. Some people just feel better when they add in the extra protein from a shake on top of all the food they eat. At the time I did it I was working 1.5 hours away from where I lived. It was just easier to do this then cook something and eat it before I left for the camp.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

kirmy
on 11/26/11 11:08 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Some of us suffer from low protein even when we hit 100grams a day, Lori springs to mind. Bacterial over growth causes extreme bowel transit there by negating the 100gram target there by requiring supplementation in the short term. Some of us do heavy resistance training to maintain bone density and struggle to eat 200grams of protein a day. Some of us find carbs working their way into our meals and we THINK we are getting 100 grams a day but a quick check shows that we've been very short all along. And then there are folks like me that often don't get my lunch and dinner breaks at work. A simple shake on the move keeps me from starving and reaching for the dairy milk chocolate in the nurses office. This thread is for the benefit of newbies. It is also good for folks getting complacent with their protein.

newyorkbitch
on 11/26/11 11:21 pm
 Makes sense.  I suppose the shakes are an efficient and somewhat "sure" way to make sure protein is being consumed.  For me,  I'd much rather eat protein than have shakes....and I get enough protein through food.  Also,  our absorption and capacity change over time,  and it's different for different people.  One year out,  two, three....that's still a "newbie" in terms of absorption and capacity shifts that will take place for many people.  

kirmy
on 11/27/11 12:31 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I thought I was getting in about 150grams effortlessly a day but then I started to eat "normal" meals like sea food risotto loaded with prawns and mussels etc thinking I was getting loads of sea food protein. I did the maths and realised I was only getting about 12 grams in that meal. I always do an excellent 20 grams plus breakfast but then realised I had likely been missing my protein targets by some margin for my lunch and dinner. I honestly had no idea! I really thought I was eating at least 150 grams of dense protein a day but it is most likely 90 grams after using Fit Day. I Love steak but it is very expensive in the UK. If I could afford to eat it every day I'd have no problems. Having said that tuna has 20 plus grams a serving... So I guess I'm going to be eating a lot more tuna salad! I still have ok restriction. I hope I get more organised in time re pre-planning. I had better take a leaf out of your book!!!

pycca
on 11/27/11 1:54 am - Haslet, TX
Yep same here !!
some days we are 12 to 18 hrs in one surgery case !!
if it wasn't for the "potty breaks" where I chug a protein shake then I would not be able to get all my proten n !!! LOL

Since our OSHA policy now will not let us have ANY food products in the hosptal at all only in the cafateria,,really sucks at times  ,,,,
lisarn
on 11/27/11 7:35 am - Omaha, NE
 That really sucks, regarding the new policy. I wonder if you appeal to the "powers that be", that you need to be able to have a protein shake during the day, occasionally, for MEDICAL reasons? If you mix with water...heck it's just "flavored water" then, wink wink.
I work in surgery as well, so I understand the long hours (although the longest procedure I've ever done was about 8 hours). Only when I've been on call have I had to go several hours without breaks because of the number of cases.
I hope that is not a trend--where I work there is food everywhere - except over the "red line". 
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)