They're All Calling Me Crazy

z85sparty
on 11/27/11 5:14 am, edited 11/27/11 5:42 am - Mason, MI
During one of my pre-op appointments in mid-November 2009 he asked if I had one major goal for myself to accomplish after surgery what would be.  I didn't even have to stop and think and my answer of "I want to become a runner" came flying out of my mouth!!!

After surgery in January of 2010 I ran my first 5k (3.1 miles) in May of 2010 and since then I must say I have become completely addicted to running!  Race day is such an emotional high and I seem to just feed off of it!

Since May of 2010, I have ran over 20 5k races, 5+ 10k (6.2 miles) races, a half marathon (13.1 miles), a sprint distance triathlon (.5 mile swim, 12 mile bike & 3.1 mile run), and a marathon (26.2 miles).  Looking at my race calendar so far for 2012 it already includes at least 5 half marathons, a full marathon, a sprint distance triathlon, a half ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike & 13.1 mile run) and  a Tough Mudder (12 mile endurance race w/ 27 obstacles along the way), along with a few 5k's & 10k's sprinkled in there.  

My parents have also gotten into the running and racing events with me.  My Dad completed the marathon with me after having heart bypass surgery less than a year ago at age 62, and my Mom runs all the major races with me along with the triathlons.

While having Thanksgiving dinner last week, my sister's boyfriend asked "how far I plan to go" with my running and racing.  I told him that my ultimate goal is to 1) complete a full Ironman Triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike & 26.2 mile run) and 2) run an ultra marathon of 50 miles.  Almost everyone around the table (minus my parents) thought I was completely 100% nuts!!!  

I tried to explain to them then this is no longer a physical battle for me!  While training for my marathon and triathlon, as much as you would think I would lose weight... trust me, I don't!  When I was MO I was out of control of who I was physically and mentally.  After the training I know I physically can do these, but now for me it is a mental challenge to see how far I can really go.  How far can I mentally push myself.  How far can I physically push myself.  I sit here thinking how I've gone from the girl who wouldn't get off the couch unless 100% necessary to the girl who is trying to become an ironman.  

My races mean a lot to me!  Each race as I cross the finish line, I think about where I started on January 20, 2010 and I always tear up.  This conversation went on for about two hours, where almost all of them tried to talk me out of my goals, again telling me how crazy and insane I am.  I ended up getting upset and finally asked why they can't just support my goals and shut up!  

Am I really as crazy and insane as they all think I am! 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

teachmid
on 11/27/11 5:32 am - OKC, OK
This is absolutely a wonderful post, and no, you're not crazy. You've just recaptured your life.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

honeybadger 11
on 11/27/11 5:37 am - FL
Nope not crazy. They are idiots to doubt you!

I just had a convo with hubs were i said for people who are younger and get WLS i think it is imperative they incorporate exercise as something you love to do often. I cant wait to run a 5K. Ive always wanted to just to do it:)

Hubs is also really in to tough mudder and wants me to do it with him next year but thats a whole other ball game. I dont think i want to swim in a icy lake or get shocked by crazy hanging wires all while rolling around in the mud!!! BOYS!

But ya never know what youll do 100+lbs lighter:)

You go and show them what you are made of! Not much better than proving someone WRONG!!!:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

z85sparty
on 11/27/11 5:41 am - Mason, MI
 I forgot to include the Tough Mudder in my 2012 race list!  I am already registered for the Tough Mudder in April in OH! I can't wait! 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

honeybadger 11
on 11/27/11 6:08 am - FL
Awesome! please let me know how it goes:) Sounds a little out of my comfort zone but hey living out of my comfort zone is the only way to live for me!

Hubs was bummed he missed it this year in Florida. Its next week, He didnt register because he knew i would be having surgery around this time. There always next year, which is fastly approaching!

I think you are amazing! Cant wait to hear about all your exploits:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 11:11 am
Congratulations on all of your running accomplishments!  Not crazy at all!

I have a friend who did the Tough Mudder this year.  He's ex-Army.  He swore he would never do it again.  The physical exertional components were OK, but he had many cuts and bruises from it.  Also, he thought swimming through ice water and running through dangling live electrical wires was a little much.  I sure hope you're ready for it!  It's a huge step up, but one heck of an accomplishment if you make it through!

Keep it up!
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 5:56 am - San Jose, CA
I'll be the voice on the other side.  Perhaps they are getting concerned that this has passed from an avocation, or a hobby, or an interest in challenging yourself in one area of your life, into a full-fledged and possibly unhealthy obsession.  Frankly, that's the vibe I'm getting from your post.

I don't have all the information, nor qualifications to be making a diagnosis, just trying to be Fair and Balanced.
dlappin413
on 11/27/11 6:22 am - Woodstock, GA
I agree that you are NOT crazy!  I applaud your accomplishments and encourage you to meet your goals.  Have fun with it.  Enjoy it.  Most important, don't let anyone discourage you.  

I am not at a point in my life where I would even dream of getting that physical... I'm 57 and have issues that prevent me.  My goal is to be able to walk a few miles and not feel the pain in my knees and back.  That's enough for me.

The only concern I would have with your goals is that you you may find your identity in your races.  Just a word of caution here, I don't mean to discourage at all.  There will come a point where you will reach all your goals and Hear Hear to you for that when it happens.  Just be sure you have something else in your life going on that will satisfy your drive.  I hope you find your identity in other things just as important to you.
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

z85sparty
on 11/27/11 6:25 am - Mason, MI
 My ultimate goal on my Bucket List is to run a race (regardless of distance) in all 50 states! 

zuzupetals2u2
on 11/27/11 6:23 am - Sedona, AZ
I might be concerned about limitations with your water and protein requirements during this extended physical challenge in that your stomach is now a lot smaller than a normie and you would need to maintain both with a limited reservoir. Maybe you will be the test for us . . .that being said. good luck!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh