vertical sleeve to DS

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 10:20 pm

So I had the vertical sleeve done in June 2010 and have been dealing with hunger, weight gain and increased amount of volume I'm able to eat for the past 6 months. I have gained back 20 lbs... I know not a lot but just for future purposes would having a revision to the DS help with hunger and restricition? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

sweetsuzy
on 11/25/11 11:49 pm - Defiance, OH

I have consult on the 8th to see about  getting ds. I too had same problems as you although i only lost 65lbs.Gained all back and never lost my hunger! I was told with removal of grehlin I would not be hungry anymore! NOT!  I am hoping  a ds will be for me.  Good luck to you.

Elizabeth N.
on 11/26/11 6:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
Who are you seeing? Not Dr. Lane I hope.

sweetsuzy
on 11/27/11 12:44 am - Defiance, OH
No I 'm not seeing Dr.Lane as he is no longer there.Don't know where he went to!  i am seeing Dr Lalor who took over bariatric office.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/27/11 12:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
How many DS procedures has he done? He is not known for being particularly pro-DS.

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 2:55 pm - OH
Holy Cow...Defiance Ohio huh? Never thought I'd see someone so local to me on here! Anyways, I know it's a heck of a drive, but I've been going to Dr. Kemmeter in Grand  Rapids, MI.
larra
on 11/25/11 11:54 pm - bay area, CA

No one knows what the longterm results of the sleeve will be...I suspect that as time passes and even the narrow sleeves stretch out (and they will), we'll be seeing more and more people interested in revisions. If you have an operation that works almost entirely through restriction (with loss of ghrelin also, but no other metabolic benefits), and then you lose that restriction, the operation is no longer helping. Some people will be able to make enough lifestyle changes and sustain those changes to succeed longterm, we just don't know yet what percentage of patients will be able to manage this.
     But to get back to your question, the only way revision to the DS will help with hunger and restriction would be if it included a re-sleeve, which can be done but is more risky than it sounds. The metabolic and malabsorption of the DS would certainly help with maintaining your weight loss, but they wouldn't give you more restriction.

Larra

Sheanie
on 11/26/11 12:02 am

Re-sleeve is dangerous because the stomach that is left has already been stretched thin.  Then, you're sleeving it again, and re-stretching that thinner stomach yet again.  Rupture is a real risk. 

Research your surgeries well before hand, people.  Sometimes we only get one chance at it, so make it count.  Most of the metabolic benefit received from the initial DS is lost if the surgery is done in two stages.  Study up on all your options, then make a truly educated decision.  Don't have any regrets.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Valerie G.
on 11/26/11 3:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
It's not going to help with hunger any more than your sleeve is.  Re-sleeving will give you new restriction with new risks that others described.  I can tell you that even though I don't get the hunger pangs anymore, that my body has figured out new ways to tell me my stomach is empty.  I can choose to feed it, or ignore it and keep going most of the time. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 5:58 am
Thank you all for your inputs! I'm scared to have to get the DS because my surgeon said its very risky; also resleeving is probably even more risky. I'm in my early twenties so I don't think that the sleeve is going to keep me at my current weight. I have been fighting the hunger everyday and I've been eating like I used ti before surgery... mind you I eat lots more healthy things than junk things. I try to eat bulky foods and dense protein to fill me up but it takes at least 2 cups of food to do so and then I tell myself to stop... and then an hour and a half later I'm starving. I've tried every prescription and non prescription weight loss/ appetite suppressant to no success. I'm somewhat hopeless at this point...