What do you wish you had known as a pre-op?

kirmy
on 11/26/11 3:59 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Pssst loving your work my little thread worm.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Julie R.
on 11/26/11 1:58 am - Ludington, MI
 This is a great question! 
I almost didn't respond to the post because everyone has already said what I wanted to say, but yes, I wish that I would have been more aggressive in my supplementation right from the start.   When I had my DS, however, not as much was known in regard to just how much Vitamin D, calcium, and A we needed, along with other micronutrients such as copper, zinc, etc,     Vitalady blazed a trail for us, but not before my labs tanked terribly.   

To this day, almost five and a half years later, I am impressed with my feeling of fullness.  When I'm done, I'm DONE.   Pushing the limits of my stomach will only result in a terribly full, painful, pukey experience.   I am not always perfect in that regard.    You're going to really want to pay attention to the clues (such as sneezing, runny nose, hiccuping) that tell you when you are full.

I wish I would have known pre-op what a clothes ***** I would become.   I'm just terrible that way!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

fullhousemom
on 11/26/11 3:00 am
 I had some habits/behaviors that I never knew existed and were very difficult to break. 

1.  When they say dont eat and drink at the same time, they mean it!  I used to have two large glasses of water when I ate. After my DS, my hand reached for my drink out of habit, and I would drink!  My mind KNEW better, but my hand seemed to have a mind of its own!

2.  You will  need to chew your food differently.  Chew, chew, chew into small pieces. I was amazed at how much more flavor was in the food as I kept chewing. It had to be a mindset when you eat!  Every time until a new habit is formed!

3.  Multitasking and having a conversation with friends while eating doesnt work well. I would forget to slow down and chew my food thoroughly!

4.  I was always a fast eater. At 6 weeks out, it is still hard to remember to slow down!  It is getting better though!

Lastly, I found that the surgery is always on my mind, when I'm with friends, driving by myself, etc. After the first couple of weeks, find something to immerse yourself in so you can forget about your DS for a while!
Valerie G.
on 11/26/11 3:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I wish I knew that my surgeon and her staff don't know much at all about how to really keep a DSer healthy.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kirmy
on 11/26/11 3:58 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I wish I knew not to eat Percy Pigs (jelly sweeties) on a boat without a toilet.

I wish I knew that my bowel and stomach sounds would be like a digeridoo on loop tape in every serious NHS meeting going.

I wish I knew that people would suddenly treat me with a modicum of credibility and respect just because I wasn't fat any more.  I wish I knew how to deal with my hurt and resentment about this.

I wish I knew how to gracefully take compliments and deal with flirting without wanting to cause bodily injury to others.

I wish I knew how to not revert to my low self esteem despite looking like a normal every day woman.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
NoMore B.
on 11/26/11 4:04 am
 I wish I knew to expect just how major the DS surgery is.  I had previously had a hysterectomy, gallbladder removal, and a few pelvic surgeries, so I had an idea of what to expect - but - they were a walk in the park compared to recovering from the DS.  I dont mean pain level, I just mean the general feeling of being hit by a truck.  It does get better, but it takes time.  For the first 3-4 weeks it was a major undertaking just to drag my ass out of bed and take a shower.  

I also wish I understood just how difficult it is to sip 64+ oz of fluid a day.  It is a full time job in the beginning and you just dont understand HOW difficult it is until you're there, with your swollen tight stomach, trying to stay awake for enough hours to sip constantly.  That gets better, too.

I wish I knew how easy it is to live with the DS after I fully recovered.  Other than vitamins, protein and labs, I feel like I never had WLS.  Very few things bother me, and I live and eat like a nornal person with a small appetite.  It is fantastic!
honeybadger 11
on 11/26/11 1:31 pm - FL
Joanne, i love that you say "trying to stay up enough hours to sip constantly." Its SO true! I have to stay up after hubs goes to bed just so i can get all my fluids in.

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

NoMore B.
on 11/27/11 1:08 am
 If it helps, the key for me was to start early.  I set mini goals throughout the day, such as 20 oz by 10am, 40 oz by 2pm, etc.  If I didn't follow that pace, I was in big trouble come night time.

It does get better in time, but it's a big chore so early out.  Hang in there!
honeybadger 11
on 11/27/11 4:55 am - FL
Thanks Joanne! I do try to do it that way but i find the morning hours just fly by! then im only at 30oz come 5pm! So ive added a straw (eww i know big flipping deal!) Im no gassier than ive been so i guess im good to go. I know DS can use straws but when when my bum is floating on gas fumes, I just didnt want to chance it.

I have ALWAYS drank from a straw so it makes the difference for me. I got in 80oz in yesterday on a super busy day that included a nap. Thats big for me.

Thanks Again Joanne:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

rargirl
on 11/27/11 12:09 am
I wish I would have pushed for laparoscopic surgery vs. open. Now I have a large protruding hernia on my stomach and an unattractive hyprotropic scar from my rib cage to my belly button.

I wish I wouldn't have spent all that money on protein suplements. I eat my protein instead of drinking it. I could never tolerate the shakes. When I did choke them down I spent all day in the bathroom.

I wish I knew how great life could be with DS. I should have done it sooner!