My second chance

Ann M.
on 11/22/11 9:26 am - GA
Good luck to you. There are several revisions on this board including band to DS. My quality of life is much better after the revision.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

provolisa
on 11/22/11 10:02 am - Provo, UT
That is wonderful news that you have been able to get all of the way through to a surgery date!

I'm so happy for you getting that band out of there!

Welcome to the forum!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

honeybadger 11
on 11/22/11 12:19 pm - FL
Our story's, like a lot of  "bandsters" are very similar. Young, high BMI looking for something that would help with weight loss. Struggled with the band for 5 yrs myself. Difference is i only lost 30lbs in those 5yrs so kudos to you for how hard you worked to get 102lbs off. I will tell you that most of that was YOU not the band and with no help with malabsorption the weight WILL come back.

I'm 3wks post op but i can tell you i FEEL better, no more stuck feeling! That was my biggest problem with the band, no matter what i ate, how much i chewed, i always felt like i was having a heart attack!

I will say the DS is a LOT to take on so if you ha vent already read, read, read. Its a whole life style. BUT it does work!

Good luck to you! I wish you the best and a fast and uneventful recovery. Please check in as often as you can. We love to watch people shrink!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

guateTS
on 11/23/11 8:27 am
DS on 03/19/12
 Wow, I'm glad you're revised after the band.  Wishing you luck too!

The stuck feeling was my biggest problem.  Especially when every day I wouldn't be able to eat anything until the afternoon, when I'd be starving.  At that point I was just so hungry I'd stick with something I knew I could get down easily.  Usually the worst things I could have been eating of course.  

honeybadger 11
on 11/23/11 11:19 am - FL
Yep, right there with you on not being able to eat in the am...it a miserable existence but as you can see a LOT of us suffer. YOU did NOT fail and you are not alone!

~Jennifer

sara3
on 11/22/11 1:15 pm
Hi,

Your story really resonates with me. I got the band in 2008 I had a BMI of 50. It was a soul destroying journey of shame and regret. I have made the decision after alot of research to have a revision to a DS. My BMI today is 60.

I think the band may be a good choice for some perhaps but for the majority of people it is not workable, and it comes with alot of issues.

I am sure you will see from being on the forum that you are not alone and that there is hope for a good experience with a surgery that really works.

I wish you well with your DS journey.
Jody W.
on 11/22/11 7:46 pm - Windsor, CT
Ditto!  I had the band for 5 years as well.... went through ups and downs, fills and unfills, and decided I could not do it anymore and here I am!!!  Best of luck to you!!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

guateTS
on 11/23/11 8:32 am
DS on 03/19/12
Wow, it looks like you're doing great since your surgery date!  After being banded for 5 years, were you expecting to do really well with the DS?

Right now I am in this weird thing where I'm not getting my hopes up that I'll get surgery and start losing like I never have before.  I'm not sure if it's bad for me to have that kinda mindset or if it's normal.  

honeybadger 11
on 11/23/11 11:16 am - FL
They say allegedly revisions are slower to lose but i honestly think thats not true. Im certainly not an expert but ive been on the DS boards consistenly since may and ive seen revision lose fast, slow and in the middle and ive seen the same for virgins so i really think it boils down to your body make up and your commitment to the DS.

Yes, its normal to think it wont work. Ive lost 21lbs in 2wks and i still think its going to stop working. Thats human nature, we worry:)

And you being so young, you are going to knock it outta the park!!! You are truly amazing to make such a decision at your age, so smart!

~Jennifer

Jody W.
on 11/25/11 3:03 am - Windsor, CT

Thank you!  Everyone loses at a different rate.... I had my mindset that this has to work as this is my last shot!!  There have been rough days... and I still have another 59 pounds to go... but I am almost halfway there and I am excited about the possibilites...
I wish you the best of luck on your journey... try not compare yourself to others... but have faith in this great tool... It does work!  I know how hard it can be with the crapband... but have faith in the process and your will see rewards!!  Best of luck!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170