Dream over.

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 8:28 am, edited 11/22/11 8:43 pm
Thank you for that. I'm trying to get over this so I can write my nutrition paper that's due Monday. We have to pick a disease that can be helped nutritionally or has special nutritional needs, write about it, then design three daily menus to meet those needs.

Three guesses which disease I'm doing.
Victorious_one
on 11/23/11 5:43 am - South Central, PA

Jazz,

You've very smart.  Your posts are among the best.  You clearly understand the DS and a lot about nutrition.

But, you know that already.  People don't walk into IU and grab a bachelor's off the shelf.

There is no way that anyone can think or strategize clearly while they're under a cloud and their depression is ineffectively treated.  I would highly recommend doing all you can do see a psychiatrist and get your meds working.  Make it a priority, even before figuring out the A&P issue.  It takes time.

After that, you'll be able to see some options.  I don't see why/how your school could refuse transfer credits from another school.  You could take A & P elsewhere and get the credit transferred.  You might also think of another way to get the admininstration to re-evaluate your case under your special cir****tances.  Is there an ombuds person around who could help?  If they want to act a fool, you could transfer all your credits from your current school to the school where you take A & P and get your degree from there.  There are lots of ways to be creative.  It's just hard and overwhelming to see those now.

If you REALLY  want this RD, nothing can stop you.  You don't have to settle for less.  This is just a bump in the road.  We all run into them.  The goal is to get past them and keep moving.

There's no way I'm glad to hear that you're going through such a tough time, but I am glad that you posted.  We're here for you!  We ALL need for you to get that degree.  Do you know how scarce a great RD is for DSers?  

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 8:59 am

Scarce RD's for DSers, and other bariatrics, too, is why I chose this route off of disability. 

You *know* I know all about the NUTS who are out there dishing out "one size fits all" nutrition plans, especially to DSers! 

I may just have to forget about A&P in one swoop, and just transfer to IU and take the two anatomy and two physiology classes.  I was trying to cut four classes down to two with the one I just funked, so I could speed up my program.  I'm quickly running out of courses at the community college I can take that will transfer to Dietetics as prerequisites,  There are four other choices for local schools, two are very long shots - Notre Dame and the sister school St. Mary's,  Attending IU's campus here, I'd have to take the same sequence as I would on the main campus.  Bethel, a private school, is the other choice, and I'll have to check and see what they have., and if voc-REhab pays for that.  There may be an issue because it's a private school.

The reason I'm doing Dietetics at IU, is that I don't have to apply for admission.  I'm an alum, and I'm just taking the classes that allow me to sit for the RD exam. The American Dietetics Associaton accepts any bachelors as a qualification to sit for the test, so I've got that covered, i just need the foundational knowledge and an internship they require to qualify for the credential exam.
zuzupetals2u2
on 11/23/11 6:40 am - Sedona, AZ

I heard a saying today & thought of you- "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

Perhaps you just need a better school by the sounds of it- there are loans & grants to be had- my therapist tells me women in their 70s are getting masters degrees at our local university NAU all the time. I am trying to decide what to do myself and come out of retirement. I am leaning towards becoming a chef and have been looking at schools.

They say to do what you love and cooking & baking is what I love and I do it often now so . . . what do you really LOVE to do? you aren't OLD. You have 30 more years in the average woman's life expectancy!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 9:30 am, edited 11/24/11 3:38 am
edited for clarity-

Because I already have a BA, I don't qualify for a Pell grant, and I really am not interested in borrowing until I get closer to the end of my program.

I just paid for the degree I have now when I got my first disability check, the one with back pay from the date of disability, which for me was 2005. I didn't get SSDI until 2008, and I got SSI for one month. As soon as I got SSDI, food stamps went bye-bye. It took 2.5 years and a lawyer to get payments from a program i worked and paid into - that's America for you!
As you know food, and for me protein supplements, along with vitamins and minerals are absolute necessities! Especially meat and protein. Don't tell me I can eat beans and rice - That's protein, but it's not as bioavailable as animal protein. I looked into all of that before I got the DS - I was eating soy meat subsitutes pre-op, and once they told me animal protein, I thought long and hard, and said OK, I can become a carnivore again!

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 9:51 am
i had thought about Culinary Arts - that's offered where i am, but there is a lot of heavy lifting, and the cooking classes require you to be on your feet the whole class.  i can't physically do that, and because of all the wrong NUT counseling i got, Dietetics became a real option for me.

Now it looks like i made the wrong decision. Story of my life.

mylittleblackdress
on 11/23/11 2:16 pm - FL
Jazz--Ok, so I admit I didn't read through all the posts so forgive me if you already answered this, but have you looked into taking the class elsewhere (where you could have greater success with another instructor and possibly find a good tutor) and transfer the credits back to the college you are attending now?  If you have enough credits where you are currently attending there should be no reason you cannot transfer in the anatomy credits toward your degree.  I took anatomy and know it can be challenging but your passing it is not impossible!  Don't give up!! You must believe you can and you will!
Good luck!
Lisa
provolisa
on 11/23/11 3:46 pm - Provo, UT
Jazz - I especially like your last post -- now you are thinking about more options!

The trouble with depression is that it turns everything into an either-or situation: either this thing happens (which isn't) or else all hope is lost, so therefore all hope is lost! That is false, circular logic! Yet, it is so seductive, because it justifies the depression.

Get help for the depression, look at your options, and make a plan! I am glad you are still writing your paper for nutrition class, instead of tanking everything over this setback.

You can do this!!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/11 3:46 am

Lisa-

I'm attending the vocational school as courses only  to get the prerequisites I need to enter Dietetics at my alma mater.  The plan was to do the prereqs here, transfer to IU for the Dietetics, do my internship, then take the RD exam.  IU even has an option where you can structure your own program, for me that would be bariatric nutrition, and since IU has a hospital with a bariatrics dept, (no DS, though, that's St. Vincent's, where I had mine), i could easily do my internship within the IU system, or even approach St. Vincent's, all within 50 miles of the main campus!

prettypixels
on 11/24/11 3:55 am
 Anyone who would feel glee over this post is a complete and utter asshole.  

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.  But just because this didn't work out, doesn't mean something else won't!  I know it seems bleak right now but it will get better.  It will.
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!