Dream over.

Lisa A.
on 11/23/11 12:43 am - Windsor, NY
I've never heard of a college limiting how many times you can take a class. As long as you are footing the bill I don't think they care. Are you sure about this?

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 3:10 am
Yes, I'm absolutely sure. 

I had to go to the Dean to get permission to retake this class, because of the one-day miss from my first drop.  That counted as a taken class, even though I'd only been in there for two weeks. I took the class again, and that counted as my second time.  This class on paper, actually counts as a third try, even though my grade for the first class was a W (withdraw).

The college that I graduated from the first time,, Indiana University, had no such limits on how many times you could take a class, and I don't think they do now.  I'm not sure if a transfer to IUSB (local extension of IU) would make a difference.
nightowl
on 11/22/11 5:22 pm - Topeka, KS
I'm sorry, Jazz. :(   I sort of understand -- I am on disability and trying to figure out what I can do in life career-wise.  I haven't figured it out though, lol. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 1:39 pm

nightowl-

If you're true to your name, you're still up!

SSDI sucks!

If I hadn't had a good job before I became disabled, I wouldn't even have anythng to live on.   Still, it's not enough to take care of eveythng i need to. 

It's just not right!  You find a miracle like the DS to improve your life, it does just that, and you try to climb up out of the disability hole, but you can't! 

I've never been in a position where i had to ask anybody for anything, until now!  

It just sucks!

provolisa
on 11/22/11 6:03 pm - Provo, UT
 Jazz,
I am absolutely NOT reading this with "glee!" I have followed your posts with interest. I understand how you feel about being disabled and not being able to be what you wanted to be.

I went to school through vocational rehabilitation. I even graduated with a bachelors of Social Work after they wrote me a letter and said that I was too disabled for them to help anymore. I started my masters, but I got to the point where I couldn't go to school all day in a wheelchair anymore, so I had to drop out. (I was in the wheelchair because I was too fat to walk around campus) So, I changed my major to Psychology and started a masters program online. Well, it was too hard for me. It assumed that I had an undergraduate degree in psychology, which is different than Social Work, although they are related. They threw me in class with post-doctoral students, and the classwork required 3 research papers (in a subject I was not familiar with) a week!

Well, to make a long story short, I flunked 3 classes in a row!!!! That killed my chance of ever getting a graduate degree anywhere!

I got so overwhelmed and depressed during the first class, that I couldn't fini**** But stupid me wouldn't quit, and had to do the same thing 2 more times, which make sure I had every nail in my educational coffin! I had really wanted to be a college professor, but that will never happen now.

So, I basically sat and stared out the window for 2 years. I slept in my chair. I had such bad circulation from that, that my legs swelled up to gigantic proportions and got weeping sores. I barely even registered that I had the sores, I was so depressed. i had thrown all of my self-image into my goal, and I had lost the goal, so who was I? It seemed like I was nobody!!!

Then, I got a fever of 104 degrees. I was admitted to the hospital because I had strep bacteria in my blood, that they decided got in through one of my weeping sores. I was in the hospital 2 weeks before they broke the fever. I literally almost died, and almost lost my right leg.

I guess that was when I realized that I wanted to LIVE life. So what if I would never be a college professor, so what if I was way too fat, at 450 lbs to work!

I started doing anything I could, which wasn't very physical. I am blesses that my arms work, even though I couldn't walk. I started doing Christmas presents for my family in January, and worked on them all year. I crocheted afghans. I handmade small quilts. Life had meaning again!!

This post is getting awfully long, so I will try to cut to the chase. 

Life is what we make of it. If disability services won't give you an extension for a documented (get documentation from your doctor!!!!!!) medical reason, there is a legal organization in your state called Disability Law Services (it is a Federal Law that it exists in every state) tosue them under the Americans With Disabilities Act for violating your right to a reasonable extension!! Threatening to do so will actually be all that it takes. You have a RIGHT to a reasonable accomodation, due to your disability.

MEANWHILE, Look in the mirror! There is a beautiful, talented woman there, not an RD. You are MORE than your goal!!! It is very dangerous to put all of your self-esteem eggs in one basket; by which I mean, to set all of your self image as one thing, when you are actually MANY things, and any one thing could always be taken away by life. What if you were a surgeon who lost his hands in a car accident? You would still be YOU! You touch many people's lives! You have talents other than the obvious one of being a college student! Find them! That way, your WHOLE life will not be tied up in the fight for your extension.

This post is getting way too long, so if you like, you can IM me anytime. I really DO understand, and you CAN feel better about this. Stop feeling sorry for yourself: and if you can't, then get to a counselor and get some antidepressants. This fight ISN'T over!!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 7:56 am
You have certainly been through as much as I have, if not more!

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement, 

I have just not been able to see physical beauty, much less any sort of intellect within myself at all, not even since I lost the weight.  It's almost as if I'm cursed to be miserable my entire life!

I used to be a radio news reporter.  That was my life's calling, until lupus and fibro put a stop to all that.  It took five years for the lupus diagnosis alone.  After that, it was phone room jobs working with people who had no sense of how to behave in the workplace ( can you say GHETTO?), and that really has a very demoralizing effect upon someone who spent their working life as a professional.  It made me feel like I'm the lowest form of human life there is. 

So, here I am, with a worthless BA degree trying to retool for a different career that doesn't involve a lot of physical activity, where I could actually do some good and save a lot of bariatric patients, and especiallly us DSers from nutritional ruin!   All this at a time when I should be planning for retirement.  

Before this massive retoooling program, I tried applying to PR firms, director of communications for organizations which had advertised openings locally and elsewhere, all of which my background in media more than qualified me for,  but I just happen to have too much of a permanent suntan to be that high-profile!  Yes, I played the race card!  It's very, very true, and unless you have lived life as an African-American, don't tell me that employment discrimination doesn't exist anymore!   

I think that's part of the issue wth my counselor at school.  Not just that I detect a bias against the disabled with her. She's just prejudiced against differences, period, and I have seen her intereact differently with other students. 

The problem here is, I have *no* support system.
Blank Out
on 11/22/11 7:33 pm
 Maybe, there is another avenue to explore?  Maybe, a new path is meant for you?  Are you on anti-depressants?  Lupus, fm, are tough!  Are you in a support group for those living with these?

I wish you all the best.  You have still come a long way!  I bet you have many things to be grateful for!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 12:15 am
Yep, I started Cymbalta years ago when it was off-label for fibromyalgia, and marketed only for depression.  

I am very grateful for my DS, and perhaps my expectations were way too high for how my life would change with the weight off.  I still need to lose 20 pounds to be spot-on goal, which by the charts would still haave me in the overweight category, but my doctor says that for my age, I don't need to go any lower than 160, which I did briefly (155), and I worked (ate) my way back up over goal. 

Maybe I just need to sit down, shut up, and be a slug!

Lisa A.
on 11/22/11 8:41 pm - Windsor, NY
I think if you really want it then take the class again. This class is extremely hard and my daughter had to take it 3 times to get a passing grade to be admitted into the medical program she wanted to attend. I watched her study her butt off and she was very embarassed to take this class a 3rd time with the same teacher but I told her if this was something she really wanted to do and this class was the only thing holding her back then take it again. She did and she was able to finally pass it the last time.

If you choose not to - you are not worthless. Just think of something else you can do. Who would ever feel glee over how you feel? That is just mean!

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 12:19 am, edited 11/23/11 3:15 am

Can't take it again at this school.  I only have until 2013 to be done with this under Voc-Rehab, and every class I can't get, or don't pass, puts me at risk of not finishing anything!   This is the only class that I've failed, but it opens the door to all the rest, with the exception of Chemistry. 

Believe me, there are some very mean people who post to OH, and they seem to be the ones that get all the glory!  Is losing weight supposed to make you evil, too?