birth control question

RKLC2002
on 11/22/11 12:34 pm - Omaha, NE
After having the DS, did anyone have to change their birth control dosages?   I keep having a light period.  My OB suggested that I take 1 pill in the morning and one in the afternoon assumng I'm malabsorbing too much.   As long as I did that, my period went away.  But, when I went back to just one pill,  it's back again.   Just wondered if anyone else had to adjust their birth control dosages after their DS.

Thanks!

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

jass28
on 11/22/11 11:00 pm - A Town, NJ
I would switch birth control methods.  I was on the pill and got pregnant 6 months post op.  Now 2 post op babies later I got Implanon and it's been amazing.  It's placed in my arm and good for 3 years.  You may also want to look into the Mirena.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

RKLC2002
on 11/23/11 12:52 am - Omaha, NE
Thank you!    I have fibroids and the doctor put me on the pill so that they would hopefully not increase in size as drastically.   I sometimes have extremely heavy periods as a result of the fibroids.   I was really hoping that with my new DS, they may shrink just a bit with my weight loss.   I'm 42, so she didn't want me to have a full hysterectomy yet.   I'll definitely ask her about another option instead of the pill.   

Thanks!!

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 1:02 am
After my 9 month old was born (our 5th), he got a vasectomy.  Took care of that!
Panda ..
on 11/23/11 1:47 am
Mdae
on 11/23/11 2:34 am
hormonal birth control gave me issues, and i was done having kids, so i got Essure.  It's permanent, titanium coils put into your fallopian tubes.  It's very effective and non-surgical (and doesn't mess with your natural hormones!).  I also suffered from heavy periods, so i combined this with ablation (cauterization of the uterus).  I have pantyliner periods now that last about 2 days.

newyorkbitch
on 11/23/11 4:32 am, edited 11/23/11 4:42 am
Your weight loss will change your hormonal balance. If your fibroids do not decrease in size, or your symptoms do not abate after most of your weight is gone, consider an embolization procedure, assuming you do not intend to have children/more children.

As far as birth control...there are two issues..one is keeping your fibroids under control, and the other is avoiding pregnancy. Do you want to accomplish both?

For pregnancy avoidance, you should use a method which is not oral - it can be hormonal, such as nuvaring etc., but you will have to coordinate with your dotor because you are trying to achieve a hormonal balance to help with your fibroids.

Another option is an IUD (assuming you do not intend to try to have children/more children).

Also if you continue to bleed heavily, be especially vigilant about checking your iron levels and ferritin frequently - the heavy bleeding increases your risk for anemia, along with the increased risk that the DS creates.
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 5:11 pm, edited 11/23/11 5:12 pm - OH
I highly recommend the Mirena IUD. It's good for 5 years, has an outstanding effectivness rate, and it is actually FDA approved to control heavy periods. Since I had mine put in a year and a half ago, my period is almost non-existent. I don't even use tampons anymore, just pantyliners because it's so light. I can't say enough about it, and I've been on a couple other forms of BC.
Jody W.
on 11/24/11 11:34 am - Windsor, CT
I am on my second Mirena!! It is the best thing that ever happened to me.... I had my daughter 7 years ago and I have had one ever since... I didnt have a period for almost 7 years until I had my DS... After the surgery I had a regular period and light spotting each month after.... I LOVE MY MIRENA!!!!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/11 9:25 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I didn't want an IUD for multiple reasons, but I NEEDED hormonal birth control (been on it as a medical means of cyst prevention since I Was 16 and had emergency surgery to remove multiple ovarian cysts and one of my ovaries they had strangled). I didn't trust the pill after surgery since there's no way to really know how much you're absorbing or not. So I switched to the NuvaRing, and it worked out really well for me. Just another option to consider.