Thinking of going vegetarian...

Elizabeth N.
on 11/23/11 5:50 am - Burlington County, NJ
Okey dokey, I'm following you better now, thanks for more clarification.

That belly heaviness thing can be a bugger. It will assuredly improve with time. Your chore for now will be to fight the desire to put in things that sit pleasantly and to embrace the work involved with eating. This can be a very hard mental jump. You need to eat what you NEED, which can be kind of like having sex because you HAVE TO :-/. Not much fun involved.

Many of us find the most useful solution to that issue is to become a constant grazer. Forget meals (which is something your insane NUT would have kittens about, you're supposed to live on a quarter of a cup of food three times a day for the rest of your life and be happy with it in the minds of those psychotics--not a huge exaggeration at all) and have a protein food near you at all times. Just keep nibbling at it. It will be oh, so much easier to get the stuff in there....and you have the oral satisfaction as well.

The grazing is also the secret to getting the calories up. IMO you need more like 2,000-2500 calories before DS math is applied to do this right. For me that involves a good 100 grams of protein, generally more like 120, and even more fat than that.

Think about it: 120 grams of protein at 4 calories per gram = 480 calories - 50% = 240 calories.

150 grams of fat at 9 calories per gram = 1350 calories - 80% = 270 calories. You've now had the great most satisfying munchout and you're at a whopping 510 calories absorbed.

See why I have the opinion that I do of your psychotic NUT? She doesn't understand the DS at ALL. Get rid of her.

Elia-B
on 11/23/11 11:04 am
 LOL - yeah.. I'm definitely on board with the EAT MORE approach.    And.. I'm a terrible grazer... or should I say a fantastic one!!!  I get hungry... and given that I was consciously working to get my cals lower, that makes a lot more sense why.  Phew.. it's a relief not to feel like I'm failing myself because I just can't get the cals down enough.  Big, big, big relief.  I got in over 1800 cals today.  My carbs went a tad over 100 grams but that was due to pizza this evening with the family as a pre-Thanksgiving meal.  I ate a whole slice before I clued in that I could just be eating the toppings and be saving myself the carbs!!!  Tomorrow's going to be a bit of a free day on the carbs.. but I will probably still do okay.  If I get too wild with it, I'll get gassy and will be uncomfortable to be sticking around the company.  All in all, I think I'm off to a pretty good start.  

Elizabeth N.
on 11/23/11 10:53 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Excellent!

Yes, today is a free food day :-). Mr. EN and I will be in protein heaven, though, as our hostess is smoking a rib roast, a pork loin and TWO turkeys, one fruit stuffed and one savory herb stuffed. I heard rumors of bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer, too.

Pizza hint: Eat a bite or two of the edge of the crust only.

Elia-B
on 11/24/11 5:49 am
 OMGosh.. I've already eaten and your description is making me hungry!!!  

Elizabeth N.
on 11/24/11 5:58 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's time for you to eat again anyway. Remember the grazing? Get to it!

Emily F.
on 11/23/11 2:25 am
On November 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM Pacific Time, Elia-B wrote:
 I've been meeting my protein goals - mostly through the help of protein drinks.  I suspect that per my labs I will need to increase them well above 100 grams/day, but for the moment I want to see what my labs say about my 9 mo - 12 mo protein goal of 100 grams/day.  If I weren't meeting my protein goal, I wouldn't be talking about eating a salad.  But, I'm happy for the salad given the protein is in place.  
 You really need to forget about calories. Aim for at least 150g protein and less than 50 g carbs. I drink 1000 calories a day in shakes alone plus my food. It works for me. 
Elia-B
on 11/23/11 2:55 am
 Do you have a fav protein powder or drink?

Emily F.
on 11/23/11 3:22 am
On November 23, 2011 at 10:55 AM Pacific Time, Elia-B wrote:
 I do 3 double scoop protein coffees a day. I was never a coffee drinker but heard Lori rave about hers so last Christmas got a coffee maker and never looked back. 

About 1/2 cu half and half, sf caramel, two scoop chocolate protein (I use Body Fortress at WAlmart), blend, add coffee, and ice, blend. You can adjust the measurements to what you like. Some do milk, some do heavy whipping cream, etc.
Elia-B
on 11/23/11 11:11 am
 Sounds delicious!!!

Emily F.
on 11/23/11 3:23 am
On November 23, 2011 at 10:55 AM Pacific Time, Elia-B wrote:
 But again, this is IN ADDITION to food, not replacement. I still eat lunch, dinner and lots of snacks. I don't usually eat breakfast though.