Thinking of going vegetarian...

kat81
on 11/25/11 10:45 pm
Studies are now showing that canned wild salmon is better than fresh because there are stricter regulations of what is considered "wild caught" for the canning industry. 
(*Wild always contains more omega 3's than farmed.)
I think OP is very intelligent for trying to ingest more omega 3's.  Twenty percent absorbed is greater than zero percent.
Frostbite25
on 11/21/11 11:54 pm
 BTW you can also get Omega 3 fatty acids from other sea food not only fish. You can try some crab and or lobster :) 

WLS: Total lost 260 lbs - 03/14/11 Duodenal Switch with Dr. Mitchel Roslin
PS: 02/10/14 LBL w/ Anchor cut, Long Thigh Lift, Arm Lift, Breast Lift with Dr. Francisco Sauceda

Dr. Sauceda's Patient Group - Click here to Join

Elia-B
on 11/21/11 11:57 pm
Oh... I wish crab and lobster were in the budget!!!  Right now I've been putting some imitation crab on my salads... not sure it has any beneficial fats in it though.  I'm pretty sure it's fat free. 

provolisa
on 11/22/11 12:44 am - Provo, UT
Imitation crab has a lot of carbs. read the label.
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 12:46 am - Lancaster, OH
Imitation crab has sugar in it, therefore, more carbs than would be found in fish OR shellfish.

YOU NEED TO BE EATING FATS!  And protein.  Not pasta, not pretend shellfish, not simple carbs.  Your doctor's office is not giving you nutritional information that is approprate for your surgery.  Have you not been reading this site?  Just because it's a nutritionist for a bariatric practice, doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about.
Elia-B
on 11/22/11 2:25 am
The carbs are my own failing..  the Dr's office wants me to keep the carbs down.  But.. I do think I might not be getting in enough fat at the moment.. and I will visit the idea of increasing my fats.  And I agree that the experts do not always know best and that we are the ones closest to our own bodies and what is happening in them.  Having said that, though, information is good and I don't want to discourage anyone from getting help from the experts. 

PatXYZ
on 11/22/11 3:29 am
The real experts are the people on this forum, and I say that with huge respect for doctors. The nutritional and supplemental realities of the DS are something very few surgeons or nutritionists understand. You'll do much, much better by ignoring the 'professionals' on these two topics and listening to the DS experts here.
Elia-B
on 11/22/11 3:39 am
I'm on the side with agreeing with you on that....  I think my Dr's office tries very hard, but I got a strong impression that my Dr's office's approach to my DS eating needs were the RNY eating needs simply modified.  I did not feel that they addressed the DS food needs from a ground up perspective.  I feel like they piggy backed them off of what they had developed for RNY patients.  In my DS Handbook I received from them, there was even an accidental reference to the RNY surgery instead of the DS. 

Yes - I am going to adopt the approach I am being told today by the folks who have lived it.  And, I pray that I am as successful as they are.....  As we know, we all have those moments of fear of could I be the exception?  But, the surgery is working for me.  I just need to recognize my needs better.

Elizabeth N.
on 11/22/11 6:26 am - Burlington County, NJ

It's time to ditch those morons completely. Glad you got a good surgery out of them. Now move on and get REAL education (like right here) about DS living. Learn how to figure out your own supplements, how to ask for the right labs, and how to find a doc that is cooperative and teachable.

They have given you absolutely NOTHING of value and a LOT that is harmful.

Elia-B
on 11/23/11 1:48 am
 Those are some pretty strong statements ... morons..  nothing of value.....    I value the support that I've gotten through my doc's office.  Could it have been better?  Absolutely.  

On a positive note, my pcp has been very supportive of my wls, and she seems the type to take an active interest.  The last time I went to see her, she was so happy with my results to date that she is going to consider recommending the DS for some of her other patients.   It has been helpful for her to see that I have come through in good health.  So... it looks like she will be studying up on the surgery and I will let her know about the caloric recommendation issues I've had through my surgeon's office.