Thinking of going vegetarian...

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 1:36 pm
FYI...600 calories a day means you're only getting 120.  NOT enough.
Elia-B
on 11/25/11 9:26 pm
 I was actually getting in around 1200 or 1100 but was trying hard to decrease my caloric intake trying to get it closer to the 600-800 range that my doc's office wanted me at.  I was doing this becaue my wt loss had been bad for about 2 1/2 months.  PLEASED to report that the increase in cals is doing the trick and the wt is dropping again!!!!    
Words fail to express what a relief this is for me.

teachmid
on 11/22/11 8:23 am - OKC, OK
You need to forget about the calories totally!!!!!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Elia-B
on 11/23/11 1:38 am
 At this point I'm looking at cals, at least for awhile while I get back on track, for the sake of making sure I'm taking in ENOUGH cals!!!  lol  Total mind shift!

Blank Out
on 11/22/11 2:48 am
 600 calories a day!  I think I remember reading that Dr. Houston has some ridiculous guidelines.  My surgeon's office, as clueless as they are about diet for DS, says to eat!  Make sure you eat!  600 calories a day will keep your body in a famine response, which is very bad for an obese person with metabolic issues going into surgery.  

And, as long as you can get enough protein from eggs, dairy, fish, and protein shakes, I would think not eating meat would be okay.  It's animal sources that are the most perfect protein for humans! 

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Elia-B
on 11/22/11 2:56 am
I get in more like 1100 to 1200 cals a day.  I never was able to stick to the 600 cals a day.  I had been trying to decrease my cals tho... so this thread definitely has me rethinking that approach.  I definitely need to decrease carbs but it's sounding like I need to increase fat.  The amount of protein I'm getting in could probably stand a little bit of a boost but I think I'm in the ball park with it. 

Elizabeth N.
on 11/22/11 6:24 am - Burlington County, NJ
You need to kick up the protein and cut the carbs or you are screwed.

However, if you continue to follow the nutrition advice given by your doc's office, you will DIE. They clearly know absolutely NOTHING about the nutritional needs of a DSer.

Elia-B
on 11/23/11 1:40 am
 Yes - I do feel like they are not treating it like it's own little beastie.  I feel like they are trying to apply the traditional rules to it in terms of what's needed calorically.  As far as vitamins, I feel pretty good about their support at this moment.  

clpeltz
on 11/22/11 10:48 am
600 Calories!?!  Are you kidding me!?!  You are NOT a RNY patient...you are a DS patient.  Fire that bloody nut!  No wonder you are not losing...you are starving yourself.  You need to add fat, protein and calories so that you get out of starvation mode.  If you take in 1200 a day....after DS math you are probably only getting about 600, if that. 

As a previous poster said, go on over to My Fitness Pal and log all your food for a few days to find out where you are.  Then you can see where you need to tweak things.  If you don't get enough calories, fat and protein, your weight loss is going to stop.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Elia-B
on 11/23/11 1:43 am
 Good advice - I have gotten on myfitnesspal as of today (Elia_B member name).  Wow!  I like the food tracker so much better than OH's!  I got so frustrated trying to work with OH's.  It's one of the reasons I quit tracking my food.  Another reason was because I felt discouraged by eating so far above my doc's recommended 600 - 800 cals/day.  I'm glad I am tracking it again.