Thinking of going vegetarian...

Bonnie R.
on 11/22/11 3:16 am - Stratford, CT
 Try upwards of 1800 cals a day. It depends on how much you weight, if you exercise etc.  I don't count calories EVER EVER EVER!  I make better choices like, not eating bread not even low carb bread, no pasta etc.  I stick to protein (chicken, steak, plain Greek yogurt (add low carb flavoring), cheese, eggs). I cook everything in butter and scramble my eggs with a little heavy cream.  

Please read back on some old posts and see what people are eating.  In the meantime, start eating! And never use low-fat anything on your food. No need to overdo, but add a little bit here and there and you'll get in what you need. I find the fat also help to keep me regular.

Elia-B
on 11/22/11 4:09 am
I will make 1800 my new target goal.. see how my wt loss does.  It's very interesting that last week when I was doing pretty good with my salads with full fat dressing, I had a nice little wt drop.  I figured I was just getting cleaned out from all the ruffage! 

Bonnie R.
on 11/22/11 5:53 am - Stratford, CT
 yeah, 1800 is not even close to a hard and fast rule. There may be a long time vet that can give you a calorie count, I'm just thinking that after malabsorption, 1800 would put you around 900-1000 (maybe a bit less depending on calories from fat content )if you are eating the right things (not if you are eating candy, of course). 

EAT EAT EAT!  
Elia-B
on 11/23/11 1:37 am
 I agree with you that 1800 cals is a good place to start.  I'm making it my initial goal and I'll adjust from there.  Today has been a new day!  I've de-carbed my kitchen and have already gotten in over 100 grams of protein (50+ from my morning protein drink).  I've started using, as of today, a site called myfitnesspal, recommended by Maria C.  Using that as a tool plus not beating myself up for being so far above my doc's cal recommendation has been an eye opener.  I knew the basic do this.... but having people spell it out has really helped.  And, letting go of the guilt and the thought that I needed to stick to an extremely low caloric intake has been a real emotional relief for me.  I'm so glad I posted this thread!!!!  

Elia-B
on 11/25/11 9:22 pm
 Just wanted to give you a folowup... the 1800 cals is working like a dream!!!  My I've lost 4.8 lbs since the 23rd and 5.6 lbs since the 22nd.  (I hadn't started making a conscious effort yet to take in more cals on the 22nd but we had our workplace Thanksgiving and I did take in more cals.. most of them carbs.  lol -- and my bod was apparently happy for the extra cals all the same!!!  :D  )

Ann M.
on 11/26/11 2:49 am - GA
Just a fellow Dr. H patient here to chime in that he is pretty adamant about the 600 calories a day. I think this is gastric bypass reasoning. He also wants you under 30 grams of carbs a day which is you are supplementing with the shakes they recommend is hard to do. He is under the impression that you will only eat protein (90 grams). period.

Listen to the advice here. High protein, low carbs, add in some fat.

Good luck.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Elia-B
on 11/26/11 3:02 am
 Ann.. LOVE your picture icon.  Funny show. :)

I wish Dr. H would change his thinking.  I really, really do.  I wonder how much of what the nutritionists are saying in terms of diet recommendation is because of his approach and thinking and because they work for him, they have to support his approach.  Just wondering...

Any thoughts on the support you've received from Dr. H's office?  
And, any comments on his vitamin recommendations?

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 3:48 am
*I* think so and here's why:

1200 calories - minus- 80% of fat calories - 50% protein calories - 40% complex carb calories = how many actual calories you are absorbing.

If your body is not absorbing it, it is like you never had the calories in the first place. KWIM?  So your body is still thinking it is starving.

I really can't tell you how many calories numerically. I have never counted calories because of the above formula.  I count protein first, complex carbs and fat.  So each meal will be a different amount of calories.  Simple carbs, of course are the debil, lol and count as 100%

HTH,
Michele
Elia-B
on 11/22/11 4:14 am
The incredible thing is when the Dr's office told me how many cals I should be trying to get in (600 - 800, stronger emphasis on the 600), I asked if that was before or after taking into account for my malabsorption.  ... They said before.    I just can't imagine existing on what would be probably 200 to 400 cals a day after malabsorption!!!! 

I do need to track my food intake and see where I am before and after the DS is taken into account.  That will at least give me a bench mark to work from since I'm having issues. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 6:03 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Yea girlie, that's kind of crazy with someone with the switch, a sleeve alone?  Yea, but a switch?  Kah  Ray Zeee.